Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 FLH banana caliper brake pads......?.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 FLH banana caliper brake pads......?.....

My new to me 1979 FLH 1200 King of the Highway is back at my indie's to hide out for the
    Michigan winter......dropped of a new battery tender and told 'em to change fluids.....

I found this bike 2-days decide last Christmas and had a blast getting to know her this
    summer.....fixed some long over due wiring issues, new battery 'cause of the F'd up wiring.

Put on a set of Metzler ME888 Marathon Ultra Wide Whites and hit the road.....sweet!

Now I'm thinkin' since the shop in gonna be on it might a well get new brake pads.

The previous owner said he had issues with the REAR banana caliper so he tossed it and
    moved the FRONT to rear and installed a NOS front banana caliper.
    I did give them a good workout this summer.....NO issues.....can haul it to a stop at freeway speeds..... happy about that!

Looking at replacement pads for front & rear.....want to see what y'all recommend.

I found Organic, Sintered, no-brand, NOS, Ted's Taiwan "stuff"......can't know which...

Still has good solid 10" rotors front & rear.....thinkin' about new stainless steel brake lines too...
    EVERYDAY I'm Shovelin'........

-Me....

If you have stock rotors stick with the Organic pads, that's if it even needs them. Have your guy measure the amount of material left on them, you could be good for a while.

You can't go wrong investing in stainless braided brake lines from front to back. They will give you a much more positive brake feel. It won't be as cheap as replacing the OEM rubber hoses, but is well worth the expense in my opinion.
    1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

You will do well to match the pads to the rotors' material. Chopprs is your friend.
      Not what you expect from this forum
      Forum fucktard
      Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

I snagged two sets of pads last time I went to BMI....

44501218840_c445bc6a07_c_d.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 85FLH View Post
          If you have stock rotors stick with the Organic pads, that's if it even needs them. Have your guy measure the amount of material left on them, you could be good for a while.

You can't go wrong investing in stainless braided brake lines from front to back. They will give you a much more positive brake feel. It won't be as cheap as replacing the OEM rubber hoses, but is well worth the expense in my opinion.
          ^^^^ This is something I agree totally with...

Comment

85FLH.....Kool...... I was wondering about the brake effect with higher quality lines.

All the oil lines HAVE been upgraded.

Bone Head.....thanks.... I'll give him a shout!

-Me....

Comment

I've been selling the EBC pads that are designated with a "V", but I don't remember what that means. Semi-sintered or some such, work on most any rotor.

Jim
              High Point, NC

Comment

Originally posted by JB in NC View Post
                I've been selling the EBC pads that are designated with a "V", but I don't remember what that means. Semi-sintered or some such, work on most any rotor.

Jim
                From what I have seen... they work great, but are a bit hard on rotors... trade-off ya know...
                I like Organic, against stock rotors...

Comment

I've been using Brembo pads (07HD0105) for quite a few years, and like them...

1974 FLH

1998 XLH1200 street tracker

Comment

KOOL!..... thanks everyone for the info! Figured I'd ask around and then run down to the shop.

Just been busy with year end stuff.....and insurance..... paperwork.....wtf.

Happy December!.....grey and windy here and 43*..... humidity @ 86%....kinda crappy...

Never would have thought Brembo would have Shovel brake pads!...Thanks!

Gonna make a run to finalize everything on the bike next week.

Might as well check while it's inside....fallaway, swingarm, alignments, that'll still leaves me some stuff to do during winter.....and some next spring.

Thanks again for all the help. Still want to do a dyno tune....gave me a great quote on tunning.

I'll keep y'all posted for sure....

-Me....

Comment

I've used EBC pads on a wide variety of bikes. &.never been disappointed in any of them.
                      They're reasonably priced as well, compared to some other brands
                      rochester Hills, Mi

Comment

^^^^^^I agree with Joe Speed on the EBC but switched to lyndall racing pads for my rear 4-piston PMI and really can notice the difference.
                        sigpic

"I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then".

'58 Pan kick only jockey shift. '82 Shovel custom (built from parts). & a '75 Ironhead basket case.

Comment

Originally posted by bj shock View Post
                          I snagged two sets of pads last time I went to BMI....

44501218840_c445bc6a07_c_d.jpg
                          bj shock....have you used these lads yet? Just curious....
                          Last edited by rockher_man; 01-08-2019, 01:55 PM.

-Me....

Comment

Gotta a call yesterday from my indie's shop and pads on the bike are fine. At least 50% left. Kool.

When I found this '79 FLH at same shop for sale before I picked her up shop owner noticed
                            a bracket missing on the Super E carb. Installed and good to go.

He rode her to get warmed up before changing fluids and witnessed the burp thru carb.

Did a spray test and looks like carb leaking thru intake seals. Told him to fix or replace.

Was probably there before I purchased her. Will road test and maybe do a jet change.

Should be ready this week. Maybe just a tune and good to go. Will stash pads not used
                            with all my other parts.

Will wait until pick up to decide on a Dyno tune.

Gettin' closer.

Got some trim to install.

Just missing pieces from when whoever painted the bike years ago.
                            Last edited by rockher_man; 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM.

-Me....

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n D View Post
                              ^^^^^^I agree with Joe Speed on the EBC but switched to lyndall racing pads for my rear 4-piston PMI and really can notice the difference.
                              They used to help sponsor the team I worked with at Willow Springs. Brake with the best or fade with the rest

Comment

Working...
                              X