Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front brake switch thread pitch

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Front brake switch thread pitch

    1975 FLH. Just curious what tap would be needed to clean the threads in the front brake switch housing. I purchased chrome handlebar controls a while back and when I went to change out the switch the replacement broke because the threads were too tight. I'm sure it's chrome overlay so I wonder if this is a thread pitch out in left feild or a standard pitch.

    Anyone know what tap size I need to chase the threads?


    `````````````````*** 1975 FLH ***`````````````````````
    ```````````*** 1962 Volkswagen type 1 ***```````````````
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.

  • #2
    I've downloaded a HD parts manual, and it says it's a 1/8-27 NPSF fitting, part number 63609-72. Want a copy?
    Not what you expect from this forum
    Forum fucktard
    Winner of the Asshole thread...

    Comment


    • #3
      The threads on the front brake switch on my 70 model 1/4 - 32 NSF
      ​​​​​​
      Location: Along the Lincoln Hwy
      This bike was mine
      We are not alone.
      Enjoy this life, the next one might just suck big hairy donkey balls.

      Comment


      • #4
        The threads on the front brake switch on my 78 FLH is also 1/4 32 and the tap is special order. NSF is 28 threads per in.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bone Head View Post
          I've downloaded a HD parts manual, and it says it's a 1/8-27 NPSF fitting, part number 63609-72. Want a copy?
          And mine is wrong; that's a p/n for the tube fitting. Sorry!
          Not what you expect from this forum
          Forum fucktard
          Winner of the Asshole thread...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bone Head View Post

            And mine is wrong; that's a p/n for the tube fitting. Sorry!
            well Mel there go all the atta boys ya got about the caliper and instrument info wink.png
            Bone Head
            Huntin' Fishin' And Lovin' Every Day
            Northwest Georgia
            1954FL ~ 1978FLH ~ 1997FXD

            Comment


            • #7
              And I


              `````````````````*** 1975 FLH ***`````````````````````
              ```````````*** 1962 Volkswagen type 1 ***```````````````
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.

              Comment


              • #8
                Crap. First time I have had a problem posting from my phone.


                `````````````````*** 1975 FLH ***`````````````````````
                ```````````*** 1962 Volkswagen type 1 ***```````````````
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.

                Comment


                • #9
                  my '81 FX is 1/4-48
                  Jimbo
                  81 FXB--Sapphire

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by HDRyder View Post
                    my '81 FX is 1/4-48
                    Greaaaat... Another thread pitch.
                    This is what we call the perverbial turd in a punch bowl.
                    I need to get my last switch out and see if I can find someone with one on the shelf to match up to.


                    `````````````````*** 1975 FLH ***`````````````````````
                    ```````````*** 1962 Volkswagen type 1 ***```````````````
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      are you talking about the switch that has 2 wires going to it?
                      Huntin' Fishin' And Lovin' Every Day
                      Northwest Georgia
                      1954FL ~ 1978FLH ~ 1997FXD

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jsoko View Post
                        are you talking about the switch that has 2 wires going to it?
                        Yessir that be the beast.


                        `````````````````*** 1975 FLH ***`````````````````````
                        ```````````*** 1962 Volkswagen type 1 ***```````````````
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                        Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I went and got a switch
                          my smallest tap & dies are 1/4" - 28 NF

                          I can only tell you that it is not 1/4" - 28 NF
                          it is 1/4" but finer threads

                          I know that doesnt help but i had to see for myself

                          take yours to a store that sell dies and find the one it goes in and then buy that tap
                          Huntin' Fishin' And Lovin' Every Day
                          Northwest Georgia
                          1954FL ~ 1978FLH ~ 1997FXD

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I laid it on a 1/4" - 28 NF tap
                            it is so close that i would have to say like the first couple of post that it is 32
                            Huntin' Fishin' And Lovin' Every Day
                            Northwest Georgia
                            1954FL ~ 1978FLH ~ 1997FXD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hd74cid View Post
                              1975 FLH. Just curious what tap would be needed to clean the threads in the front brake switch housing. I purchased chrome handlebar controls a while back and when I went to change out the switch the replacement broke because the threads were too tight. I'm sure it's chrome overlay so I wonder if this is a thread pitch out in left feild or a standard pitch.

                              Anyone know what tap size I need to chase the threads?
                              I gave up trying to get those switches to last, I just added a tee with another hole and put a switch there and a lil re witring.. only issue is I need to get some better wire, it breaks off .. maybe a crimp instead of solder (?)
                              Kevin
                              sigpic

                              "To The Great Northern Retreat, Ye son's of Freedom"
                              CHROMOSEXUAL AND PROUD!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X