Round swingarm and disk brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round swingarm and disk brake?

Thinking out loud, I like the look of the drum brake, seems to function good. If I change to disk would I have to weld a tab to anchor the caliper?
    An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject!
    When motorcycles are outlawed, only outlaws will have motorcycles.
    Keith

When I changed the 72 I just picked up a square swingarm. But if you like it and you got good brakes why mess with it. I wish I never had and someday gonna put the round one back on.
    I hang my hat in Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by hersch View Post
      When I changed the 72 I just picked up a square swingarm. But if you like it and you got good brakes why mess with it. I wish I never had and someday gonna put the round one back on.
      Explain please.
      Not what you expect from this forum
      Forum fucktard
      Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Head View Post

Explain please.
        I had good stopping power with the drum and never had any trouble but I thought I wanted disc. And then went through a couple year process with different calipers. Started with a 4 piston jay brake. It was ok but the pads didn't last worth a shit and they cost 60$. ( I've since found them cheaper and running it on the 81. )So I said screw this and went to a banana. I didn't have a lotta success with that either so finally got a GMA which is good but had to get a new 5/8 MC. And that's what's on it now. So all I'm saying is woulda been a lot less hassle to just leave it alone. And I realize pros and cons sprockets etc. And of course the most important one of all. "The cool factor ". Smiley face

Comment

I recently swopped over from box section s.a. + disc/banana to a round s.a + drum. like you I like the look, plus the drum is good enough.
          at first I wanted to fit the r.s.a. and disc-wheel, as my drum wheel setup wasn't quite ready.
          with the r.s.a. fitted I checked out to see if the disc-wheel with a banana caliper and oem caliper bracket (boomerang style) would fit.
          I found the caliper-bracket fouled on the r.s.a axle-castings etc and simply would not fit. a gusset on the inside of the axle casting fouled the caliper bracket.
          It wasn't going to happen in my book. I sorted the drum wheel out instead.
          I guess it'll work with alternative calipers/mounts though?

Comment

Fab kevin has thee transition adapters , and yes ya need to figure out a caliper anchor, search here.
            I did a thread askin about the setup years ago.
            Thanx Jack!
            If its made in china IT WILL FAIL!
            location kommifornia
            Fukk potofukkit

Comment

Something I did Years ago...Not likely to do it again... the Spacers was Not that big of a Deal... Look at the Spacers on an old Ironhead for inspiration... and use a Mill would be better than using my Angle Grinder and Files!!!! One of those 3 piece Clamps was my solution for the Stay arm... maybe Not a Great plan... But fully Functional!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=hersch;n3475809]

Started with a 4 piston jay brake. It was ok but the pads didn't last worth a shit and they cost 60$. ( I've since found them cheaper and running it on the 81. )

I am curious about where you get the brake pads at now. I run this caliper front and rear and yeah, it hurts when it comes time to replace them.
                Thanks, Brian

sigpic
                "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ...
                The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

[QUOTE=Hopsing;n3475909]
                  Originally posted by hersch View Post

Started with a 4 piston jay brake. It was ok but the pads didn't last worth a shit and they cost 60$. ( I've since found them cheaper and running it on the 81. )

I am curious about where you get the brake pads at now. I run this caliper front and rear and yeah, it hurts when it comes time to replace them.
                  Thanks, Brian
                  They're GMA F pads. Ebay $43. is about the cheapest I've found.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112378681909

Comment

Thank you Hersch for the information. I am just now finding out the info from you. I got sick shortly after posting my question and ended up in the hospital. I came down with viral meningitis. What a nightmare trip this has been for me. Wanted to let you know that I do appreciate the info.
                    sigpic
                    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ...
                    The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X