OK I'm cornfused...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK I'm cornfused...

Not hard for me Need the p/n for the front pads for my '85, book calls 44005-78 but I'm looking around and a lot of places cross-reference 44135-74?
    Originally posted by jensen
    I know guy like you. If i can be face to face so you have nothing to say becasue you have not enough man for that and you are shittrousers.. When here in Finladn we despice somebody we says to him that put skirt on you pitch and send him skirt...

Are you referring to the 85 FLHP.?
    Which is actually a Late 84.?
    If so, the proper P/N is in the 41 to 84 Parts Catalog, if you have one of the Factory Parts Manual. If not let me know and I'll look it up for you.
    1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

Yeah Rick the FLHP, I got that first number from that parts catalog, just wondered why more than one place used either/or number. Are they interchangeable?
      Last edited by hogluvr; 03-29-2019, 10:07 AM.
      I know guy like you. If i can be face to face so you have nothing to say becasue you have not enough man for that and you are shittrousers.. When here in Finladn we despice somebody we says to him that put skirt on you pitch and send him skirt...

Comment

And...while I'm in the brake section - picking up some dot 5 tomorrow for Friday garage night, gonna try to find out what happened to all my brake fluid in the rear master cylinder, completely empty. There is a little bit of blackish residue in the bottom, should I clean it out with something and/or flush the system, and if so with what? I don't want to make things worse than they already are...

Comment

Originally posted by hogluvr View Post
          Not hard for me Need the p/n for the front pads for my '85, book calls 44005-78 but I'm looking around and a lot of places cross-reference 44135-74?
          44005-78 is the correct P/N for your caliper. When you see alternate P/N's listed from another source always look in the back of the HD Parts Catalog to find where that P/N belongs.

In this case P/N 44135-74 is a pad set W/piston o-ring for 1972 to Early 78 FL, FLH. Not what you want.
          1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

And...while I'm in the brake section - picking up some dot 5 tomorrow for Friday garage night, gonna try to find out what happened to all my brake fluid in the rear master cylinder, completely empty. There is a little bit of blackish residue in the bottom, should I clean it out with something and/or flush the system, and if so with what? I don't want to make things worse than they already are...

Well, regarding the complete loss of brake fluid from your rear master cylinder, it will have to be looked at after you put some DOT 5 back in it and look very closely as to where it may be leaking.
            Will need some forensics there.
            As far as the small amount of dark residue on the bottom of the reservoir I would just spray a lint free towel with some brake clean and wipe it clean.
            Don't be too worried about absolute cleanliness in there unless you feel chunks of something.
            But I doubt you will. It is just probably normal dirt/residue that has settled to the bottom.
            I use the white shop towels that come in a box for that stuff.
            Post your results when you get to finishing this small job.
            Rick
            1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

Cleaned and filled the mc, bled the system and got a good pedal. Still no brake light? Then the dripping started. Coming from the junction block where the brake lines meet and the switch is located. Buried in there and I have a jack under the bike right now so I couldnt tell exactly where it was leaking. I might have to wait until I get the wheels back on to get another crack at it.

Any way to test that brake switch? If its bad I would like to get another one on order.

And I still havent ordered the front brakes, from the way everyone is selling these things they make it seem like any banana caliper pad will work, have seen 3 different numbers cross-referenced now. Anyone have any insight?

Comment

If it's a banana caliper, ANY pad will fit, but may not be the best for your application. I've got some SBS carbon pads on the front of my FLH. And I DO NOT like SBS pads in general because they are noisy. BUT, these carbon pads have been on it for too many years to count, and are fade free, so much so that I have had the front end drift on downhill sweepers in the Rockies, heavy trail braking and NO FADE.
                I like the EBS V formula pads for front wheel use, a little softer than a full metallic sintered pad, quiet and decent feel.

Jim
                High Point, NC

Comment

Cleaned and filled the mc, bled the system and got a good pedal. Still no brake light? Then the dripping started. Coming from the junction block where the brake lines meet and the switch is located. Buried in there and I have a jack under the bike right now so I couldnt tell exactly where it was leaking. I might have to wait until I get the wheels back on to get another crack at it.

Any way to test that brake switch? If its bad I would like to get another one on order.

And I still havent ordered the front brakes, from the way everyone is selling these things they make it seem like any banana caliper pad will work, have seen 3 different numbers cross-referenced now. Anyone have any insight?
                  Either go to NAPA and buy a VW (I think) switch or remove your old one and clean the crap out that collects up in it. Old crap from rubber in the MC, the MC cap gasket, and so on. That stuff will pack damn near solid and keep the switchy part from feeling pressure.

You did check the wiring, socket and grounds, right?
                  Not what you expect from this forum
                  Forum fucktard
                  Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

Mel,

I did not. The brake light does work off the front brake. I figured the rear switch might not be working because of no fluid but even after I bled and had pedal it still didn't work.

Comment

The nipple on the switch that screws into the tee can get packed with crap. Sometime you can clean it out, sometimes you have to buy one. As I stated previously a VW brake switch is suppose to work.
                      Not what you expect from this forum
                      Forum fucktard
                      Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

Is the switch your leak?

Comment

Originally posted by Arley View Post
                          Is the switch your leak?
                          That's what I was wondering, it almost looked like the front of the switch was wet. I tried getting a better look at the leak last night but couldn't, was planning on getting on my back and crawling under there and trying again tonight. Been out in the rain 4-1/2 hours trying to fix the brakes on my truck, I'm soaked and chilled to the bone so that's not going to happen today! Oh well maybe tomorrow...
                          Last edited by hogluvr; 03-30-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Add more to the confusion. Going through the parts manual, that brake switch is the same one used since '51?? p/n 72023-51A

Comment

OK I think I found that VW switch you were talking about at Autozone, need to get parts for my truck there so will pick one up...
                              Last edited by hogluvr; 04-01-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X