DOT 3 in a DOT 5 Brake GMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT 3 in a DOT 5 Brake GMA

I had my bike in for MO State Insoection and the shop told me my rear Caliper had air in it and needed to be bled. I didn't want to pick up and fix it then take it back. So I had the shop do it. Well today I found that they put DOT 3 in instead of DOT 5. Other than flushing with alchohol do i need to replace all rubber parts?
    Last edited by mike77; 04-14-2019, 03:33 AM.
    1998 Jammer Frame, 1976 Shovel motor with 9:1, Andrews B cam, S&S spring kit, 76 Shovel 4 speed. My 1st build.

???
    1998 Jammer Frame, 1976 Shovel motor with 9:1, Andrews B cam, S&S spring kit, 76 Shovel 4 speed. My 1st build.

Comment

apostrophe man. Gotta love it. dont use em!!

Not sure what the brake fluid problem was...if you mixed them I would flush it good and start over with the right fluid.

Ace
      Middle Ga

Comment

See updated post

Comment

I think you will have a hard time getting it clean enough without disassembling. I had mixed fluids and the pedal would get spongey, id flush it and about every month it would get spongey again. Took about 6 flushes.
          3 wont work for disk will it?
          An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject!
          When motorcycles are outlawed, only outlaws will have motorcycles.
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by hoginedgewood View Post
            3 wont work for disk will it?
            Doesn't have the high boiling point. Discs generate more heat. Boiling brake fluid is ineffective. Probably smells bad too.

Not what you expect from this forum
            Forum fucktard
            Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

If they get mixed...you'll get Jello... disassemble, and clean it out like hoginedgewood says..
              I have never put DOT3 in a Motorcycle System...so can't comment on the Pros/Cons

DOT 5 you can probably drink without ill effects... DOT3... well No, it is a good Paint remover

Comment

a flush should take care of any residual DOT 3 on any rubber parts
                it is not that difficult, but time consuming to replace the parts
                denatured alcohol is advised for flushing
                Last edited by jsoko; 04-14-2019, 08:08 AM.
                Huntin' Fishin' And Lovin' Every Day
                Northwest Georgia
                1954FL ~ 1978FLH ~ 1997FXD

Comment

Years ago I bought a ratty hardtail 79' Ironhead chopper. Brake (only had a rear brake) seemed to work great on the test run.

Next day I'm riding in the middle lane of a busy roadway when all a sudden the bike starts to slow down... almost like the brakes were being applied. Finally, I'm stuck in the middle of a busy intersection. Rear wheel completely locked up. Cant push it. I realized what was happening. Dire situation so I snapped the brake line off. Pressure relieved and I coasted to a gas station (no brakes!). Then had to get it towed home since I had no brakes.

The PO mixed Dot 3 and 5. The master cylinder was completely jello.

Dont take chances. Disassemble everything and be sure the little relief port in the master cylinder is free!

I learned some valuable lessons that day. 1. Buying a used bike always pop off the M/C cap and have a look. 2. Front brakes are useful.

Comment

The shop that did the damage should pay for the repairs.

Jim
                    High Point, NC

Comment

Originally posted by garyshovel84 View Post
                      Years ago I bought a ratty hardtail 79' Ironhead chopper. Brake (only had a rear brake) seemed to work great on the test run.

Next day I'm riding in the middle lane of a busy roadway when all a sudden the bike starts to slow down... almost like the brakes were being applied. Finally, I'm stuck in the middle of a busy intersection. Rear wheel completely locked up. Cant push it. I realized what was happening. Dire situation so I snapped the brake line off. Pressure relieved and I coasted to a gas station (no brakes!). Then had to get it towed home since I had no brakes.

The PO mixed Dot 3 and 5. The master cylinder was completely jello.

Dont take chances. Disassemble everything and be sure the little relief port in the master cylinder is free!

I learned some valuable lessons that day. 1. Buying a used bike always pop off the M/C cap and have a look. 2. Front brakes are useful.
                      And if its of any use, you can check your fluid by having a container of water (just enough to cover the bottom by 1/4" to 1/2") and adding a spoonful or more of your fluid to it. DOT 5 will not mix with water; lays on top. DOT 3 will mix and form nice boogers with a snot like texture to it.
                      Not what you expect from this forum
                      Forum fucktard
                      Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Head View Post

And if its of any use, you can check your fluid by having a container of water (just enough to cover the bottom by 1/4" to 1/2") and adding a spoonful or more of your fluid to it. DOT 5 will not mix with water; lays on top. DOT 3 will mix and form nice boogers with a snot like texture to it.
                        There is real tip I can use. I love this place
                        Chromophobic and proud

Comment

Originally posted by JB in NC View Post
                          The shop that did the damage should pay for the repairs.

Jim
                          not unless they were informed there was 5 in there....wasn't 3 the norm in all the older bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by wilks View Post

not unless they were informed there was 5 in there....wasn't 3 the norm in all the older bikes?
                            HD changed over around '76 I think.

Jim
                            High Point, NC

Comment

Originally posted by wilks View Post

3 boils in disk systems. They should know that
                              An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject!
                              When motorcycles are outlawed, only outlaws will have motorcycles.
                              Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X