X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB in NC View Post

HD changed over around '76 I think.

Jim
    Earlier than that ... I think more like '73, but I been wrong before... '73 being the Introduction of Disk brakes... I'll stand there for Now..

Comment

The main difference between DOT 3 and DOT 4 is temp ability. DOT 5 is SILICONE based, and can be colored or clear. The exact same stuff is used in model race car shocks as shock oil, it's available in many weights and also foams up easily on emulsion type shocks.

My old Porsche race car I used DOT4 race fluid, and I changed it often because race car.

DOT 5 I avoid at all costs, unless that's what's in the bike already and there's no question, only then, will I use 5 during maintenance.

If I had to take all of the brake system apart, I would take the opportunity to switch to DOT 3 or DOT4.

Unless you have a race bike, IMO DOT3 is fine, just as DOT4 is, and they can be mixed if needed (like you can top off your rez with 3 knowing you have 4 in there) you just can't put 5 in there.

If there's ANY question as to what type of fluid you have, you need to find out what you have, and either run what's already in there, or clean and flush and start over with DOT4, but you CANNOT mix DOT5 with anything else.

I assumed DOT5 came in later in the game. I've cleaned out systems that the PO had mixed DOT3/DOT4 and DOT5 and it just turns to gel, not sure what solvent dissolves the gel, but you have to really take every little piece of everything apart and clean if you are unfortunate to have a brake system that someone mixed types, it's a nightmare.

If you're in BFE, and get to a 7-11, I've seen DOT3 and DOT4 but never seen DOT5. That's a big deal IMO as 3 and 4 are available just about everywhere, but DOT5 is not. Not that I've seen.

Comment

All the DOT 5 fluid I
        Last edited by mike77; 04-14-2019, 03:28 PM. Reason: color
        1998 Jammer Frame, 1976 Shovel motor with 9:1, Andrews B cam, S&S spring kit, 76 Shovel 4 speed. My 1st build.

Comment

Test
          1998 Jammer Frame, 1976 Shovel motor with 9:1, Andrews B cam, S&S spring kit, 76 Shovel 4 speed. My 1st build.

Comment

Originally posted by mike the snake View Post
            DOT 5 is SILICONE based, and can be colored or clear.
            Yes, just cause it dont have a purple tint dont mean it aint DOT5

the most bestest way to test if its DOT5 is the Water test
            Huntin' Fishin' And Lovin' Every Day
            Northwest Georgia
            1954FL ~ 1978FLH ~ 1997FXD

Comment

Dot 5 loses the purple tint over time and becomes clear.

Jim
              High Point, NC

Comment

Did the water test.
                Looks like DOT5.
                Last edited by mike77; 04-21-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike77 View Post
                  Did the water test.
                  Looks like DOT5.
                  Let it set for an hour or two, see what it does. But if that's what you have after that congrats; you're in The DOT 5 Club.
                  Not what you expect from this forum
                  Forum fucktard
                  Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Head View Post

Let it set for an hour or two, see what it does. But if that's what you have after that congrats; you're in The DOT 5 Club.
                    That
                    Last edited by mike77; 04-21-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Head View Post

Yep stayed the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X