sticking calipers on 82 FXR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticking calipers on 82 FXR

Took my 82 out for its first ride in a few years. Front brakes have been hangin up. Thought I would put a few miles on a see if they free up. Not happenin. Pulled over to see if I could see if one side was hot and the other cold.. Both sides red hot. Milked it back home.Cracked the bleeders loose to see if they would release. No dice.Cracked the lines loose to see if they would release. No luck.
    Removed the lines and the calipers. Popped the top off of the master cylinder. Fuking nastiest shit I ever seen. Looked like black jelly.cleaned out the master and it looks fine now.I think I will need to purge the lines out to make sure all that shit is out of there. Probably replace the rubber lines too. Pretty old and brittle. Then new pads. What about caliper pistons? What else needs lookin at?
    Thanks for any insight you may have.
    sigpic

someone mixed dot 5 and dot 3 in there, seen it a bunch, pop the calipers apart and see what you got, I've gotten lucky several times just cleaned up what was there, new rubber, good to go.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Comment

sounds like a good plan. thats the direction im headin. thanks
      sigpic

Comment

Clean all the jellied fluid out of the lines and calipers remove the pucks all the seals and wash in fresh brake fluid then reassemble.

Comment

What solvent should be used to dissolve the gel made by mixing dots 3/4 and dot 5? Acetone? Hexane? Toluene?

Comment

Originally posted by mike the snake View Post
            What solvent should be used to dissolve the gel made by mixing dots 3/4 and dot 5? Acetone? Hexane? Toluene?
            Denatured alcohol is my go to for cleaning brake internals.
            The primary and the secondary are on the same side.
            78 FXS 74" 4 speed, 79 FXE basket

Comment

Disconnect the brake line at the master cylinder and then see if the caliper pucks squeeze back in easily(clean outer puck area first with brake cleaner). This will give you an idea of where the issue is. If the pucks go in easily your master cylinder is suspect. If the pucks dont squeeze in easily, loosen the bleed valve and try again. If the pucks now go in the rubber brake line is suspect.
              When getting the muck out of the master cylinder make sure the small compensating port is clear.

They hadn't gone to the cartridge type master cylinder on this model yet--or had they????
              Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
              "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
              Let me out of my way
              1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

my guess is that the piston is sticking in the caliper..have had this same issue with several used bikes I've bought that didn't flush the brakes right away.
                This is more of a problem on bikes that use dot 3 or 4 brake fluid.

Was @ my Indy's today & he showed me a late model Twinkie that had the master cylinder badly corroded..
                Dave told me that the Mo Co switched back to Dot 4 on later models, despite the fact they corrode the aluminum badly.
                He said a bike with dot 4 fluid has to be cleaned/flushed with fresh fluid at least every 2 yrs. to keep the fluid from braking down, corroding the inside,
                & even outside of the master cylinder.
                Last edited by Joespeed; 05-14-2019, 05:35 PM.
                rochester Hills, Mi

Comment

Working...
                X