Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

77 FXE front caliper woes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 77 FXE front caliper woes

    Broke the bleeder off in my caliper. Broke the EZ out off trying to get it out.I've been thinking on upgrading the piece of shit single piston caliper anyway. I could use some help figuring out what caliper will bolt on to the Showa tube.
    Thanks!
    sigpic

  • #2
    Performance Machine
    My Website: www.amcpchoppers.com

    sigpic:

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by grababrewski View Post
      Broke the bleeder off in my caliper. Broke the EZ out off trying to get it out.I've been thinking on upgrading the piece of shit single piston caliper anyway. I could use some help figuring out what caliper will bolt on to the Showa tube.
      Thanks!
      Buy a new OEM. They work great with the correct oil, quality pads, a rebuilt master cylinder and quality Braided lines, and you will save a few hundred bucks as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        I went with the GMA caliper about 20 years ago. Not as good as the PM but cost less and stops good for me... I didn't change the front Master cylinder either. Haven't had any issues. Bolted right on. Same. Bike, same year as you.
        Plano, TexAss
        1977 FXE
        1993 FLHTC

        Comment


        • #5
          I am running one that has Not had a bleeder in 20 years... small hassle to bleed... but, no Problems at all... except they do tend to rattle, and they are just a fuzz better than a Drum brake... But, I like Stock, and it suits me Fine...

          Comment


          • #6
            ..." they are just a fuzz better than a Drum brake "

            Recently swapped out my old front brake pads ( ? brand ) for some EBC pads.. old pads still had plenty of material,
            but couldn't believe the difference in stopping power..while still using the oem calipers & rotors.

            Don't believe my '79 FXEF has ever stopped as well as it does , now.
            rochester Hills, Mi

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Joespeed View Post
              ..." they are just a fuzz better than a Drum brake "

              Recently swapped out my old front brake pads ( ? brand ) for some EBC pads.. old pads still had plenty of material,
              but couldn't believe the difference in stopping power..while still using the oem calipers & rotors.

              Don't believe my '79 FXEF has ever stopped as well as it does , now.
              Yes... and we all should know that the proper pad materials matched to the rotor material is a huge difference... but, some of us COB's won't change pads till they wear out!!!
              Luckily out here in the rhubarbs... there is not any need to do any brake checks... Hell we even speed up for Deer!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the replies! Now I I'll have to figure out what I want to spend.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Or just work on getting the ez-out out and get a bleeder repair kit.
                  it requires drilling and tapping so don’t break the tap
                  Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
                  "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
                  Let me out of my way
                  1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    get a small jam nut, place over broken bleeder and plug weld with a mig welder, got quite a few out doing that, just make sure to remove all the rubber parts. might need a few tries but it works.
                    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you choose to try and get the bleeder screw out of your caliper and need a USA made oversize bleeder kit for it, I have one. MFG Date: 04/09.
                      Still in original package. Don't know if these are available anymore.
                      Let me know if interested.
                      1985 FLHP

                      Lancaster, MA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by grababrewski View Post
                        Thanks for the replies! Now I I'll have to figure out what I want to spend.
                        Nothing.... put new matched to the rotoer material pads and Go... That bleeder ain't shit...

                        Or
                        Originally posted by shovelrandy View Post
                        get a small jam nut, place over broken bleeder and plug weld with a mig welder, got quite a few out doing that, just make sure to remove all the rubber parts. might need a few tries but it works.
                        Is best if you have already Drilled thru the old bleeder...
                        hell... show yer COB... weld it Shut!!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Racepres View Post

                          Nothing.... put new matched to the rotoer material pads and Go... That bleeder ain't shit...

                          Or


                          Is best if you have already Drilled thru the old bleeder...
                          hell... show yer COB... weld it Shut!!!!!
                          So how do you fully bleed the brake line and caliper without a functioning bleeder screw?

                          I don't think I've ever seen a caliper without a bleeder....
                          True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by John T View Post

                            So how do you fully bleed the brake line and caliper without a functioning bleeder screw?

                            I don't think I've ever seen a caliper without a bleeder....
                            Hell the front will bleed itself if yer Patient... I rarely use the bleeder on the front... just be patient... air always finds it's way "Up"... Check it tomorrow...or the next day!!!!
                            I been running one of those Pie slice calipers with a broken bleeder for many Years... Over 20 I'm thinking!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Racepres View Post

                              Hell the front will bleed itself if yer Patient... I rarely use the bleeder on the front... just be patient... air always finds it's way "Up"... Check it tomorrow...or the next day!!!!
                              I been running one of those Pie slice calipers with a broken bleeder for many Years... Over 20 I'm thinking!!!
                              I respectfully disagree.
                              Air does NOT always find its way up.
                              you can always bleed the brake line by cracking the flare nut....
                              but if air is trapped behind the piston or anywhere in the caliper ... many times it will not rise

                              but if it works for you,
                              that’s all that matters I guess.
                              True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X