No announcement yet.

77 FXE front caliper woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in modern multi piston brakes like sport bikes there is often air problems but thats the crazy design = nooks and crannies. ive never had one of the pie slice but Id imagine it would be the most simple route for air to rise.

and if racepres says any part of his bike is broken, I believe him
    Last edited by Friday; 09-14-2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Every joint is a potential bleed point, ima poet dint know it...
      Same as water mains, forced mains, fire lines etc. Its all hydraulics.

Comment

Originally posted by John T View Post

I respectfully disagree.
        Air does NOT always find its way up.
        you can always bleed the brake line by cracking the flare nut....
        but if air is trapped behind the piston or anywhere in the caliper ... many times it will not rise

but if it works for you,
        that’s all that matters I guess.
        Not just me... look into the MC those bubbles are air coming up from ??? the caliper or line... as you peer in there...and run the Brake lever... when Dot-5 shoots you in the Eye... the Brake is Bled!!!

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        in modern multi piston brakes like sport bikes there is often air problems but thats the crazy design = nooks and crannies. ive never had one of the pie slice but Id imagine it would be the most simple route for air to rise.

and if racepres says any part of his bike is broken, I believe him
        I know nothing of Imports nor "sport bikes" so.... I will stick to my Guns on the Pie Slice.
        And... I have more than a couple of Broken Parts on my Bikes!!!!! LOL
        Last edited by Racepres; 09-15-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Had one of those pie slice calipers for a few years. I'll submit that for some reason it was a P.I.A. to bleed. Found once I started the panhead, the vibrations worked the air up the line. Just saying...
          Not what you expect from this forum
          Forum fucktard
          Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

Posted this before.. & after years of bleeding brakes from master cylinder, down to bleeder @ the caliper,
            read somewhere, then tried this..
            I empty master cylinder, & using a 60cc irrigation syringe filled with brake fluid, (& a short piece of plastic tubing on the syringe)
            I open the bleeder & push fluid into the caliper, up the brake fluid hose, & into the m/c reservoir.
            It's easier to push air up, with fluid.& out of the system thru the master cylinder reservoir.. than it is to push air down, thru the system & out the bleeder screw.
            rochester Hills, Mi

Comment

Originally posted by Joespeed View Post
              Posted this before.. & after years of bleeding brakes from master cylinder, down to bleeder @ the caliper,
              I empty master cylinder, & using a 60cc irrigation syringe filled with brake fluid, (& a short piece of plastic tubing on the syringe)
              I open the bleeder & push fluid into the caliper, up the brake fluid hose, & into the m/c reservoir.
              It's easier to push air up, with fluid.& out of the system thru the master cylinder reservoir.. than it is to push air down, thru the system & out the bleeder screw.
              Yep
              That method works great especially a new (dry) system.

For regular bleeding I use a "speed bleeder bag"

Of course both of these methods require a bleeder screw..... which some folks around here seem to think is unnecessary.

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Joespeed View Post
                That's how I do it. Read about that method many years ago. Works well.
                Plano, TexAss
                1977 FXE
                1993 FLHTC

Comment

Originally posted by grababrewski View Post
                  Broke the bleeder off in my caliper. Broke the EZ out off trying to get it out.I've been thinking on upgrading the piece of shit single piston caliper anyway. I could use some help figuring out what caliper will bolt on to the Showa tube.
                  Thanks!
                  Contact chopprs (Bill) and see what kind of caliper he can get for you and how much it will cost.
                  You won't get a better deal anywhere if you decide to replace the caliper.
                  1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

If it's one of those calipers with single piston and the round circle on the side I have a set (it WAS dual caliper).

Comment

Originally posted by mike the snake View Post
                      If it's one of those calipers with single piston and the round circle on the side I have a set (it WAS dual caliper).
                      Pie Slice is Decidedly Not that round one... and will Not bolt to that Rotor/Fork
                      Any [single] caliper can be bled by "trickling" fluid into the caliper attach all Lines...Squeeze Fluid up to caliper..Done it a Zillion times, can do Duals but need to Get control of other caliper, or do Both at once.
                      But... Never needed to do anything to a Pie Slice... They seem able to self Bleed...if yer patient... Been squirted in the Eye many times with the Gravity method... now I do Not peer into the MC when "testing"

Found a Picture that I could Blow up to show my Broken PieSlice..
                      Never given me problems, and I will be [hopefully] putting a Braided stainless line on this Winter..
                      Broken Pie Slice.jpg
                      Last edited by Racepres; 09-17-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I have a frankenbike. My front end came from an '82 FLT. dual calipers. For years it took a hardy grip to just slow the bike down. Finally got tired of it as the calipers wore from vibration. No way I was going to spend money to get mediocre brakes again. I bought some Nip calipers and made adapter plates to fit them to the sliders. WOW. They grab only half the area that the stock calipers did but boy howdy do they grab. I cannot believe I didn't do that years ago and I have less than a hundred invested into it including braided lines. Sometimes being a cheapskate pays off.

`````````````````*** 1975 FLH ***`````````````````````
                        ```````````*** 1962 Volkswagen type 1 ***```````````````
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                        Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.

Comment

I ended up replacing the pads and was able to bleed em through the fitting on the caliper. Best brakes I've had for a while.
                          sigpic

Comment

^^ But thru the caliper does Not get it all...
                            take the top off the [level] master cylinder... squeeze lever slowly... no squirt??? when you release there will be Bubbles... as My Air always rises...
                            Once the MC squirts, up from the bottom of the reservoir, ... you are Fully Bled....

Comment

Working...
                            X