Front banana rattle on 1984...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front banana rattle on 1984...

Any cure to make the bike not sound like a jalopy on rough roads due to the caliper rattle? Pins and bushings are not worn...I used foam tape on the small calipers on my 1983 dual disc, but this big banana is pretty heavy...

"that's what she said" heeheeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
    "LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
    "VAGINA"

I tried what was suggested here.. cut about a 1" section of some clear plastic tubing (fuel line will work)
    & wedged it between the caliper & fork leg.. rattling stopped.
    rochester Hills, Mi

Comment

On the dual piston rear late model caliper I put o-rings on the caliper side of the wavy washers that are on the through bolts. This reduces the bouncing that causes the holes to waller out over time.
      Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
      "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
      Let me out of my way
      1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

There is a part made by HD to stop that rattle and it works. If you have the Factory Parts manual for your 84 FL/FLH it will be listed in there. Anti-Rattle clip. or spring or something like that.
        If you can't find it PM me after tomorrow and I'll get you the OEM P/N.
        Rick
        1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

I have the anti-rattle clip, but still have the rattle

I stuffed a piece of 1/4" fuel line in between the leg and caliper
          and it will fall out over time
          but I have a '78 so you will not be able to use that on your '84 in Canada

I did see where a member ran several beads of Silicone Caulk (looked like a clear weld bead) between the leg and caliper
          when I get real ambitious that may be what i try next
          Huntin' Fishin' And Lovin' Every Day
          Northwest Georgia
          1954FL ~ 1978FLH ~ 1997FXD

Comment

Being a COB
            I have one with a long spring between front thru bolt of caliper to the Lower leg pinch bolt.. Should have new bushings, ... but, it will need to take it's turn.... No Rattle... but yer gonna look like a COB too...

Comment

i found my rattle in the front was the fender has worn out rivets and is bouncing around on the bracket
              I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

The fix is P/N 44067-84. SPRING, front brake--anti-vibration. There are 3 of them on eBay right now. I have this part on both my Electra-Glides and they work great.

Last edited by grw800; 09-20-2019, 06:29 PM.
                Original owner 1982 FLH Electra Glide Classic

Comment

Originally posted by grw800 View Post
                  The fix is P/N 44067-84. SPRING, front brake--anti-vibration. There are 3 of them on eBay right now. I have this part on both my Electra-Glides and they work great.

Cool! Thanks!!
                  "LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
                  "VAGINA"

Comment

I don’t think I can post an image from my phone here but the front caliper on my 84 flh has a spring clip like this one :

https://www.ebay.com/i/253999454085?...yABEgKiL_D_BwE

It actually works ok.
                    -Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Doug View Post
                      I don’t think I can post an image from my phone here but the front caliper on my 84 flh has a spring clip like this one :

https://www.ebay.com/i/253999454085?...yABEgKiL_D_BwE

It actually works ok.
                      Sure do - had the same rattle issue until someone pointed me to this "anti-rattle" spring clip - problem solved

good @ being sucked @

Comment

That last clip is a V-Twin #23-1753. Came today, got it from Dennis Kirk for 19 bucks.
                        Cave Junction: Where the Grateful Dead Meet Deliverance!

Comment

The H-D part number for the black spring clip was 41768-73, and it works!

1974 FLH

1998 XLH1200 street tracker

Comment

Working...
                          X