Chrome dowel pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome dowel pens

I have a oem 1968(mid-star) big twin rear drum that was chromed many years ago with the good stuff and never run. With the thick chrome covering the dowel pens it won't begin to fit on a wheel. I don't want to enlarge holes in the wheel but other than drilling out and replacing dowels I need to come up with a dechroming idea.

Benny.
    "The future belongs to those who are still willing to get their hands dirty."

If that's "The Good Stuff" from back in the '60s to '70s, you will be a month of Sundays trying to get it off just the dowels. And then you run the risk of damaging/deforming the dowels, wouldn't you? Maybe scratch the stuff you want to keep shiny?

Brown's Plating chrome?
    Not what you expect from this forum
    Forum fucktard
    Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

Call the best chrome shop with the oldest guys working there and ask??
      Thanx Jack!
      If its made in china IT WILL FAIL!
      location kommifornia
      Fukk potofukkit

Comment

aren't the dowels pressed in? press them out?
        1982 FXR - next project for restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 (1340) - almost done
        Self Built 96" Evo Softail Chopper
        2012 103" Road King - "per diem"
        2003 Honda CRF230 dirt bike
        plus 11 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Muratic acid will de-crome the dowel pins. Don't breathe the fumes.
          Friends help friends move,
          Real friends help friends move bodies...

Comment

Can you use a fine file and go slow an easy?

Comment

Benny,

It will be easiest to drill them out and replace them, IF you can find replacements.

Jim
              High Point, NC

Comment

Muriatic acid will take the chrome, and some of the nickel off, but it won't touch the copper underneath, and that is the thick layer that is causing the problem. Any drop or splash or splatter of the acid will mess up the chrome you want to keep, so I wouldn't use that.

Jim
                High Point, NC

Comment

I would just enlarge the holes in the hub. Just go a little at a time until you get a tap-in fit and go with it. As long as you aren't doing things like repeated burnouts or banging gears all day, you'll be fine.

Bill
                  sigpic

Comment

If you can get down to the copper coat it will come off pretty easy with a mini grinder or dremel tool. I had a chrome shop remove the chrome from my Super E teardrop aircleaner cover but they couldn't get the copper off. I was able to use a 3 inch sanding disc on a angle grinder to get the copper off without Fing up the aluminum cover and it turned out good. I'd think the pins on your drum would stand up better to removing the copper than my aluminum cover.
                    Last edited by 84 Shovel; 10-16-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X