No announcement yet.

front caliper locks up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as far back as '79..(& probably farther back) the oem brake fluid was Dot 5.. says so on the tops of the master cylinders, on handle bar sticker, as well as owner's manual..Nice think about Dot 5 is it doesn't absorb water, as much as Dot 3 or 4, as well as being paint friendly, if you do get a bit sloppy..

& had a bad rubber brake line on the front brakes of my truck.. brakes would lock up & wouldn't release (piston retract in caliper) 'till I kicked the wheel repeatedly,. Funny that this happened as I left my mechanic's shop having the front pads & rotors replaced..called my mechanic & he came with a flat bed, picked up truck, returned to shop & replaced brake lines & calipers.
    Last edited by Joespeed; 10-24-2019, 10:59 AM.
    rochester Hills, Mi

Comment

solved!!! the pushrod inside the MC was TOO LONG for the lever i had installed. apparently the geometry is different from one lever to another. since the original lever was lost, i installed one that i had laying around. ('82-'96 controls). this would not let the MC piston retract all the way. it's as if the brake was being applied and not released; each application resulted in tighter and tighter clamp on the rotor. my only choice was to grind 1/4" off the pushrod to shorten it enough to allow the piston to retract all the way. it's sure nice to have a front brake again......thanks for all the help.....
      I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

I salute you for gettin' back with the fix. Glad you don't have to use the front tire as a plow.
        The primary and the secondary are on the same side.
        78 FXS 74" 4 speed, 79 FXE basket

Comment

Originally posted by newoldguy View Post
          I salute you for gettin' back with the fix. Glad you don't have to use the front tire as a plow.
          thank you and AMEN....
          I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

Working...
          X