Warped rotor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warped rotor?

Has anyone ever tried to straighten a warped rotor? I am sure it is a bad idea but that seldom stops me.
    I have a front rotor that has a wobble. This is on a 1980 FX something or other with dual front rotors.
    Second question. Where is a good place to get brake parts?
    80 Low Rider with sidecar.

The heat cycling would be the issue. You would need to get it really hot to fix it ...if you even could. Then when it started heat cycling again it would likely get worse than it was pretty quick.
    My Website: www.amcpchoppers.com

sigpic:

Comment

Best to just replace it,they aren't that expensive.If your sure it's the rotor.I had a wheel that i thought sure the rotor was warped,turns out the damn wheel was bent.This was on a mag.bmi carts has them for 10 bucks.I bought a couple for my last build.
      Last edited by hogwild; 07-15-2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I read an article about car rotors, claiming you need to bed the pad material evenly into the rotors, if not the rotor would grab differently during each revolution. If you know they are warped i would just buy a good new, can you lay it on a piece of glass to check? If it's flat clean it up.
        An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject!
        When motorcycles are outlawed, only outlaws will have motorcycles.
        Keith

Comment

I have never tried if warped time for a new 1 ..
          30 miles west of Chicago ILL.

Comment

soak it in hemp oil for a year
            I heard it's good for everything
            Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
            "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
            Let me out of my way
            1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

Brakes are brakes, don't try to cheap out on em'. Just sayin'. Stan.
              Sooner or later love is gonna getcha. The Grass Roots.

Comment

don't fuck around with brakes or tires

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                  don't fuck around with brakes or tires
                  ...like car tires on a bike??? LOLOL
                  My Website: www.amcpchoppers.com

sigpic:

Comment

I do know from experience a MAJOR factor causing brake pulsation is thickness variation. Thickness variation is usually caused by lateral runout. Put a dial indicator on the rotor side and spin the wheel to measure lateral runout. Any more that .002" lateral runout WILL eventually cause thickness variation and pulsation!

Comment

This is more than a pulsing problem. The caliper wobbles bad one one side driving down the road. The other side of the duel disc system is running true. I did order a new set of rotors. Wish me luck. And I need to do the fork seals. This could potentially turn into a complete restoration if you guys are an indicator of shovel head behavior.
                      80 Low Rider with sidecar.

Comment

Originally posted by hawgfarmer View Post
                        This is more than a pulsing problem. The caliper wobbles bad one one side driving down the road. The other side of the duel disc system is running true. I did order a new set of rotors. Wish me luck. And I need to do the fork seals. This could potentially turn into a complete restoration if you guys are an indicator of shovel head behavior.
                        You will do the steering head bearings while you're that far won't you? It's just a little more time and money
                        An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject!
                        When motorcycles are outlawed, only outlaws will have motorcycles.
                        Keith

Comment

Working...
                        X