early vs late 78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early vs late 78

what's the difference between early 78 and late78 fx/fxe/fxs????
    In loving memory of my father 1925-2009
    WW-II, Korea & Vietnam aviator

https://screenshot.net/qmmqjb4

Do you have a 71 to 84 FX factory Parts Catalog.?
    That should answer all your questions.
    1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

Copied and pasted...

"From what I know and some studying I just did in a '71 to '80 FX parts catalog, the changes from '78 to '78 1/2 included going from points to the Prestolite electronic ignition, going from the ratchet lid to the rotary top on the transmission, and going from "O" rings to flat bands on the intake manifold. I have heard of early trans and manifold stuff on later factory bikes though.

As for the 80" motor, it was introduced in mid '78 model year as a '78 1/2, but only in one model, The Special Edition FLH-80/Electra Glide II. (See brochure below.) The 1979 new model brochure only lists Electra Glides as having 80" motors, however the parts catalog lists 80" motor parts for the '79 and later FXS (Low Rider) and FXEF (Fat Bob Super Glide.) The 1980 new model brochure lists those as 80", and lists the FXE and one Electra Glide as having 74" motors.

The best way to tell if a bike is/was an 80" bike is the first two letters of the VIN.
      2C is an FX-1200 (no e start,)
      9D is an FXE-1200
      5E is an FXEF-1200
      6E is an FXEF-80
      2F is an FXS-1200
      6G is an FXE-80
      7G is an FXS-80

And as was mentioned before, the sequential production number starts with 60,000 after 1/1/78 for the rest of the 1978 model year. Those are just the letters for the FX series bikes. That page is not intact in my FLH parts book."
      "LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
      "VAGINA"

Comment

late flh got 80", steel valve guides, new valve stems w/ hardened stems, new intake manifold w/ a single lip at the cylinder head that mated to the flat O-rings, electronic iggy.
        I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Comment

The 80" were set up to run unleaded gas.
          sigpic

Comment

Air Cleaners changed from Ham Can to Lunch Box, I think it was sometime during '79 when the gearbox tops changed,

Comment

Thank you
              In loving memory of my father 1925-2009
              WW-II, Korea & Vietnam aviator

https://screenshot.net/qmmqjb4

Comment

is there any info on drilling the oil pump extra hole?? when did that become necessary?? what year pumps have the hole factory drilled?? what years don't need it?? etc.??
                I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

Mid-'78 is when they changed the FX rear fender and support (strut) to add the stupid recessed fender bolt on the left side.

Jim
                  High Point, NC

Comment

Originally posted by madrat View Post
                    is there any info on drilling the oil pump extra hole?? when did that become necessary?? what year pumps have the hole factory drilled?? what years don't need it?? etc.??
                    '81 for that oil pump change.

Jim
                    High Point, NC

Comment

Biggest change was from points to V-1 electronic ignition system, unleaded valves, and the change from the Pig Snout air cleaner assembly to the Ham-Can assembly due to the whole EPA bullshit emission standards

V-1 electronics either worked...or they did not. By 1980? MoCo introduced the V-2 electronic ignition system which did not seem to have the same failings as the originals.

From 1977 to early 1978 MoCo used a Pig Snout air cleaner backing plate with the oval cover for FX models as well as Sportster models. Guess it was the attempt to appease the "clean air" Kommies

Late 78 FX models used the "Ham Can covers and backing plate

As mentioned, FLH models saw the introduction of the 80 in. motor in 1978 but that would not show up until 1979 for FX series bikes with introduction of the FXS-80 Lowrider and the FXEF-80 Fat Bob.
                      Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
                      Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Comment

What has always baffled me was why an American company would choose to display a METRIC measurement, ''1200 cubic centimeter'' and ''1200'' on the air cleaners shown above for the 74, but always used cubic inches for the 80.

And in fact made a big deal of the ''80'' number with dedicated brochures and advertising and parts i.e. 1978/81derby covers and the 1978-84 air cleaners, and yes even used up those ''80'' breadboxes on 1 or 2 1985 touring Evos.

I wonder why they did not go with ''1340 cubic centimeter'' or ''1340'' when, after all, it was the biggest number yet, if that was the logic for ''1200''

Question: did H-D EVER brand ''74'' on any new-bike part from the factory?
                        Last edited by kiwidave; 06-04-2021, 12:01 AM.

1980 FXWG: Melbourne, Australia

Comment

Working...
                        X