Nordlock washers for Tranny cover and Rocker Boxen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nordlock washers for Tranny cover and Rocker Boxen

As I am in a position right now to replace all offending (and USELESS) washers, begs the question, would the two piece NORDLOCK be a goood fit where standard washers in these locations and others have been employed. I have to believe it cant possibly be worse?

First , have you had / having a problem keeping the nuts on ? I have Never used nordlock , seen the write up , but seem a tad expensive , unless it is a Nuclear Submarine or the like . Cannot speak for others , but never had a problem keeping my Nuts from falling off ,,apart from Exhaust nuts , . I always replace spring washers if I have had cause to remove them , because they lose spring tension . I also use Blue Loctight on rotor and sprocket bolts . I also use Nyloc Nuts , again in certain places , like silencer bolts .

Comment

I like to use conelock nuts on rockers, trans nuts etc.
      DOUCHE CANOE
      VAGINA

Comment

Originally posted by english cw View Post
        First , have you had / having a problem keeping the nuts on ? I have Never used nordlock , seen the write up , but seem a tad expensive , unless it is a Nuclear Submarine or the like . Cannot speak for others , but never had a problem keeping my Nuts from falling off ,,apart from Exhaust nuts , . I always replace spring washers if I have had cause to remove them , because they lose spring tension . I also use Blue Loctight on rotor and sprocket bolts . I also use Nyloc Nuts , again in certain places , like silencer bolts .
        same here Clive
        Kevin
        sigpic

"To The Great Northern Retreat, Ye son's of Freedom"
        CHROMOSEXUAL AND PROUD!!

Comment

Originally posted by jrubin View Post
          As I am in a position right now to replace all offending (and USELESS) washers, begs the question, would the two piece NORDLOCK be a goood fit where standard washers in these locations and others have been employed. I have to believe it cant possibly be worse?
          I've read that a lot of people don't have much trouble with losing locks and nuts and whatnot on their bikes. I'm probably like you, and must have one of the lucky ones with a funny vibration. I tried blue lock tight, shit don't work. I use red on everything. I tried nylon locks on my tranny mount, and nope. They are split washers now, and they seem to hold a bit better. I've thought about the fancy norlock nuts though. WOuld be interesting to see if it made any difference. And yes, my motor mounts are tight, and the motor and shit is shimmed. I have a feeling the balance on the motor is slightly off, something to get looked at one of these days.
          sigpic

What is life, except
          Excuse for death, or death but
          An escape from life?

Comment

Yes they do make a difference. I had a couple different nuts that I simply could not keep tight, no matter what I tried, Nordlocks did the trick.

Comment

Im gonna dial this back...

I was being specific here about two applications.

The tranny side cover where half is submerged, threads become saturated, i find that the lower nuts come loose before the upper at the level of oil.

The rocker box studs , on the FXS, difficult to reach, furthermore in a heat cycle expansion application.

Comment

Sounds like something worth trying.

Comment

Money well spent...Fastenal usually has a good selection on hand...
                  A little reading on how to correctly torque the fastener when using the nordlock washer might be helpful...

Comment

Not available in stores.... this portion will be delayed... Hate sizing online, I think the tranny side cover washers are 1/4 20

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
                        Im guessing from this photo that this is the size and P/N to get for the tranny side cover....

I wonder how both the chrome plated steel cover as well as the plated nuts will effect the performance of the nord lock washers

https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-Locking...FDPACJ9DVR1HVM
                        Last edited by jrubin; 01-13-2019, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X