Identifying genuine parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying genuine parts

I'm looking to purchase a Solo seat and speedo to restore my 1968 FLH. I need some help identifying if these are genuine parts and if these seem like fair prices for true Harley parts.

The speedo I have heard you look to see if the screws are in on the outside? Which these appear to be:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-69-Har...-/372761578704

The seat, however, I have no idea. This post claims it is but I don't know if it should have numbers stamped or anything?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/112685372979?ul_noapp=true

The speedo looks correct, and the vendor is Janus, a known speedo restorer. There are a couple within the US also, Stan in AZ, and John Bordas in TX. Both try to have speedos in stock.

The seat is likely OEM but is not the right era of construction. Looks newly made so is different than the correct type for '68. The pommel mount is welded not riveted as original and the skirt material is different. Those new seats are pretty cheaply made compared to the originals. You would be better off with a Worsham Castle or Heather's Leathers recovered original pan.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies...

Comment

I can't help with the speedo but those seats are still being made. People are just jacking the price up to the uninformed.
      https://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.aspx?PartNumber=52006-47B
      Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
      "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
      Let me out of my way
      1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        The speedo looks correct, and the vendor is Janus, a known speedo restorer. There are a couple within the US also, Stan in AZ, and John Bordas in TX. Both try to have speedos in stock.

The seat is likely OEM but is not the right era of construction. Looks newly made so is different than the correct type for '68. The pommel mount is welded not riveted as original and the skirt material is different. Those new seats are pretty cheaply made compared to the originals. You would be better off with a Worsham Castle or Heather's Leathers recovered original pan.
        you have a link for Stan in Az.??
        I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by madrat View Post

you have a link for Stan in Az.??
          No, I do not. Would you share?

Comment

Stan, Vintage Rust 602-290-6991 Phoenix

John Bordas 303-420-4510 Colorado number but he is in Texas.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

. You would be better off with a Worsham Castle or Heather's Leathers recovered original pan.
                Heather's Leathers...great quality stuff!

"LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
                "VAGINA"

Comment

The last Real OEM NOS seat I bought was around 1992 from an Independent shop that I did a lot of business with. He had bought out the inventory of a couple of HD Dealers that were/had gone out of business because the Dealers couldn't afford to remodel and increase the square footage of their showrooms to meet the "new" HD requirement's back then. Remember that point in time.?
                  Anyway, the Indy added extra warehouse space and a mezzanine to his shop to be able to inventory all the HD parts he bought.
                  The seat I got from him was still in the HD box, was the Deluxe seat. The same type of seat that is in the pic you posted a link to.
                  Also, on the underside of the seat pan was a manufacturer date, that was in black ink. They used the old time rubber ink stamp. The kind that you would rotate the date to the current month and year using a ink pad. If your as old as me, you know what I'm talking about.

It was a very bizarre coincidence that this ink stamp was for a 1976. I did not have the bike with me, nor did the owner know what year I wanted a seat for. The box was still sealed when he brought it down from the mezzanine and allowed me to open the box and have a look at it, which still had the factory staples holding it closed,The leather was in perfect shape.
                  When I turned it over to get a look at the stitching I saw the date stamp and I immediately asked "How much you want for it". The price was $75.00 at the time.
                  Not really cheap in the early 90's but much cheaper than the dealer wanted, so it was well worth it. I then asked for an OEM pogo stick and he brought one of them down for me and it was also $75.00. Cash Only.
                  So I paid the man and rushed out to my car with everything I needed to finish the restoration of a 1976 FLH that I was finally finishing up for $150.00.
                  Ground up restoration.

I don't know if all the manufactures(HD) parts had the ink stamp on the bottom pan but I have seen it several times and is usually stamped with a month and year of the bike they are installed on.

My 85 FLHP came with the original solo seat, but does not have the ink stamped date on it and the leather is dried and cracked. As you would expect from a bike that served duty with a Police Dept. Sweaty asses on it all day long. I just put a sheepskin cover on it until I can find a New OEM NOS seat also.
                  I will buy in the future when I find one at a swap meet with the original box.

Hope some of this info helps in your search.
                  Last edited by 85FLH; 11-25-2019, 06:10 PM.
                  1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

Originally posted by 66glide View Post

Heather's Leathers...great quality stuff!
                    Does Heather's Leathers re-cover stock solo seats.???
                    Or do they just sell seats.???
                    1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

Originally posted by 85FLH View Post

Does Heather's Leathers re-cover stock solo seats.???
                      Or do they just sell seats.???
                      Yes,
                      And No

Comment

Originally posted by racerjim0 View Post
                        I can't help with the speedo but those seats are still being made. People are just jacking the price up to the uninformed.
                        https://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.aspx?PartNumber=52006-47B
                        This isn't advertised as being for a stock installation with a HD Pogo stick.???? Or have I misinterpreted the listing.

Going to google search Heather's Leathers to see what they can do.
                        Thanks for the info.
                        Rick
                        1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

thank you rubone!
                          I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by 85FLH View Post

This isn't advertised as being for a stock installation with a HD Pogo stick.???? Or have I misinterpreted the listing.

Going to google search Heather's Leathers to see what they can do.
                            Thanks for the info.
                            Rick
                            Yea, I guess they are pushing for sales to the new year bikes that have different mounting requirements.
                            The seat I bought from them(same listing)did have hardware with it for mounting it to a “T”.
                            Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
                            "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
                            Let me out of my way
                            1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

Working...
                            X