Oil filter not full of oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter not full of oil?

On my 75 FXE, I have a filter that mounts off the front motor mount. I use the early evo type filter on it and it screws straight up to the mount. I fill it up, let it soak in, then top it off again, before I put it on when I change it out. I've always noticed when I change the filter it isn't ever as full of oil as when I installed it. Yesterday, it was only half full of oil after about 2000 miles. The oil in the filter is just as dirty as the oil I drained from the tank.
    I have it connected so the oil goes from the return side of the pump to the outside of the filter element, then from the center of the element back to the tank.
    Any thoughts? OK...Not OK???

jim

sigpic

You are OK. No pressure restriction downstream if the filter, so it will probably run half full most of the time (outlet being in the center).

Jim
    High Point, NC

Comment

That's what I was hoping to hear!
      Thanks, Jim!!

jim
      sigpic

Comment

With the dry sump wouldn't the pump pull in air? So bubbles in the filter on a regular basis?
        An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject!
        When motorcycles are outlawed, only outlaws will have motorcycles.
        Keith

Comment

What is the micron rating of an EVO filter as opposed to a Shovelhead filter.
          I forget if there's a difference. Meaning, is the Evo filter a higher micron rating, more restrictive, than a screw on filter made for a Shovel.
          Shovels had screw on filters from L82 to the end of production. I'm thinking FLH's only. Don't know what year(s) the Shovel FLT's has screw on filters.

All I know is I use Wix #51215 filters on my shovel.
          1985 FLHP

Lancaster, MA

Comment

Originally posted by 85FLH View Post
            What is the micron rating of an EVO filter as opposed to a Shovelhead filter.
            I forget if there's a difference. Meaning, is the Evo filter a higher micron rating, more restrictive, than a screw on filter made for a Shovel.
            Shovels had screw on filters from L82 to the end of production. I'm thinking FLH's only. Don't know what year(s) the Shovel FLT's has screw on filters.

All I know is I use Wix #51215 filters on my shovel.
            I have no idea what the micron rating is.

jim
            sigpic

Comment

Shovel and evo filters are supposed to be rated at 20 microns. Twinkie and later filters are rated at 10 microns. The lower the number, the finer the filtration, and the more restrictive. I use diesel fuel filters on my parts washers that are rated at 6 microns and even though they are large filters, the one on the dirty parts washer has to be changed fairly frequently.

Jim
              High Point, NC

Comment

I have an FXR that has a factory filter mount under the transmission. It does the same thing as you are describing. I think it is because of contraction of the oil as it cools, as well as air in the oil not taking up as much space in the filter as air bubbles rise to the top and dissipate. As the bike cools the oil can move around in the lines, just as water moves up and down pipes in similar fashion. The principal is known as thermal dynamics; you can use it to heat (or cool) houses on the cheap. The FXR has the threaded tube that goes a good distance down into the filter, and it can "suck" oil up the tube as it cools. As for air in the FXR's oil, the fine air bubbles go away as it cools and drops my fluid level in the tank, so I assume it does the same in the filter as well.
                Last edited by older-twin; 05-30-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by msgtarmor View Post
                  I use the early evo type filter on it and it screws straight up to the mount.
                  I still don't get it. Not saying something is wrong but I just don't get it right now.
                  If the filter is vertical with the screw at the top and mounted low, wouldn't the filter have to fill with oil(you even primed yours) before being able to push the oil to the oil tank which is much higher and three feet of hose away.
                  I know that return oil lines aren't getting a solid flow of oil, more of an airy froth of oil, but I would think that the oil filter would help the oil drop out of the froth.
                  Maybe it is the froth that is filling the oil filter but once given time to settle you end up with less oil in the filter
                  Just woke up, first cup-o-joe and I don't want to think yet.
                  Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
                  "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
                  Let me out of my way
                  1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

evo and older big twins that have an oil filter, the filter is installed in the return side of the system.

simplified normal oil routing from the tank, pump and filter.
                    oil gravity feeds the pump from the tank, the pump pressures the engine where needed, oil that has done it's job in the engine is collected and then the pump returns it through the oil filter on it's way back to the oil tank.

oil pumps have two sets of gears, feed and return. the return gears are longer to have a larger capacity and have the ability of pumping more than the feed side. the return gear set not only pumps oil, it also will pump some air. return oil is most always mixed up with air when running normally. you will see air in the oil filter, it's normal and to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by dan r View Post
                      evo and older big twins that have an oil filter, the filter is installed in the return side of the system.

simplified normal oil routing from the tank, pump and filter.
                      oil gravity feeds the pump from the tank, the pump pressures the engine where needed, oil that has done it's job in the engine is collected and then the pump returns it through the oil filter on it's way back to the oil tank.

oil pumps have two sets of gears, feed and return. the return gears are longer to have a larger capacity and have the ability of pumping more than the feed side. the return gear set not only pumps oil, it also will pump some air. return oil is most always mixed up with air when running normally. you will see air in the oil filter, it's normal and to be expected.
                      Good explanation dan r.

charley
                      Western NC

Comment

That explains it!
                        Thanks!!

jim
                        sigpic

Comment

You guys sure make me feel like a dumbass! Great info, keep it coming!
                          Cave Junction: Where the Grateful Dead Meet Deliverance!

Comment

Originally posted by opie View Post
                            You guys sure make me feel like a dumbass! Great info, keep it coming!
                            No worries, Chris! I've been a member of the "Dumbass" club a looong time!!

jim
                            sigpic

Comment

I dont think I used my allotment of stoopid questions yet.
                              Cave Junction: Where the Grateful Dead Meet Deliverance!

Comment

Working...
                              X