Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old-stf oil lines for shovelhead, opinions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by JB in NC View Post

    Complicated solution to a problem that does not exist.

    Jim
    But, it looks cool.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by AmericanMoFo View Post

      But, it looks cool.

      ...not with oil squirting out, LOLOL
      My Website: www.amcpchoppers.com

      sigpic:

      Comment


      • #18
        What does look cool is the OEM-style versions in brass that Big Jim from Chicago was selling on here 8-10 years ago. Along with his brass rocker box nuts and full-length brass pushrod tubes.. I have them all. The oil lines don't leak when the little rubber seals are in right, as stated above.

        Is he still on here. Still making them?

        I saw those Old-STF ones years back also, but I hated the complicated look compared to the beauty and simplicity of Big Jim's version.

        1980 FXWG: Melbourne, Australia

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by kiwidave View Post
          What does look cool is the OEM-style versions in brass that Big Jim from Chicago was selling on here 8-10 years ago. Along with his brass rocker box nuts and full-length brass pushrod tubes.. I have them all. The oil lines don't leak when the little rubber seals are in right, as stated above.

          Is he still on here. Still making them?

          I saw those Old-STF ones years back also, but I hated the complicated look compared to the beauty and simplicity of Big Jim's version.
          I had Big Jim's lines, rocker shaft nuts, and his pushrod tubes. All beautiful stuff for sure. I was just too lazy to keep them as nice as I should have, so I sold them to a member who would take better care of them than I did. I buffed them up to their proper beauty before I sent them away, though. I at least owed that much to Big Jim for making stuff as nice as that.

          Bill
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by chopprs View Post


            ...not with oil squirting out, LOLOL
            I've run these lines for years, not one drop of oil. Course, now I've said this...
            Blue Demon aka Wirecutter: 1970 FL
            As_Yet_Un-named: 1982 FX, under construction
            Kipper: 1979 Triumph Bonneville hardtail bobber

            Comment


            • #22
              Maybe Jerry from Walthill will chime in he has an interesting fix for the Shovelhead oil lines! 77cr237 l forgot what thread it was in.
              Last edited by Viking; 06-25-2020, 09:06 PM.

              Comment


              • #23
                I think the oem system is fine also, but not the aftermarket parts. I think this is what Viking is referring to:

                Once I had an engine get destroyed because I put some new oil lines on it with the nice chrome fittings and the rubber sleeves were sheared into small bits by the sharp edges on those chrome fittings. Those little rubber bits went all over the place and plugged up some oil passages, then the engine scored both pistons. Most of the bits were in the top end in the rocker arms and had completely plugged the front rocker arm oil supply fitting. After that happened I made a special cutter for my lathe to put the little curved chamfer in each of the new fittings and I have never had another rubber sleeve come apart or leak. Here's a picture of original equipment fittings and some of the cutter and the new fittings when they are done. Now the rubber will squeeze in around the pipe without getting cut.

                oil line fittings 1.jpg

                oil line fittings 2.jpg

                oil line fittings 3.jpg

                oil line fittings 4.jpg

                Comment


                • #24
                  When I made my second set of split rocker boxes in 1994, I used steel brake line and brass barrel crush fittings to feed the top end.Not a hint of a leak, and I could make them pretty tight without any damage, and oil flow was no issue. Al from S&S tech told me to solder the case oil fitting, and I could go as small as .050" and still have sufficient oil flow. I did that, and coupled with outside oil teturns, oil leaks were history.

                  Bill
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #25
                    Not a Problem... oil is Oil... especially these days... oil is Much better than when Shovels were new..

                    Comment


                    • #26
                      Originally posted by wiseguy View Post
                      When I made my second set of split rocker boxes in 1994, I used steel brake line and brass barrel crush fittings to feed the top end.Not a hint of a leak, and I could make them pretty tight without any damage, and oil flow was no issue. Al from S&S tech told me to solder the case oil fitting, and I could go as small as .050" and still have sufficient oil flow. I did that, and coupled with outside oil teturns, oil leaks were history.

                      Bill
                      There has always supposed to be a Restriction in the overhead oilers... In some circumstances even more restriction is Desired...in which case I prefer independent Feed.

                      Comment


                      • #27
                        I had an issue with my Pan. The rocker covers were leaking like a sieve so I carved up a .060 carb jet and jammed it in the feed line. I was timid to do it but it has been like that for more than ten years with no leaks and no issues. There does not need to be rocker covers filled to the top with oil...
                        Last edited by chopprs; 06-26-2020, 09:21 AM.
                        My Website: www.amcpchoppers.com

                        sigpic:

                        Comment


                        • #28
                          Originally posted by 77cr237 View Post
                          I think the oem system is fine also, but not the aftermarket parts. I think this is what Viking is referring to:

                          Once I had an engine get destroyed because I put some new oil lines on it with the nice chrome fittings and the rubber sleeves were sheared into small bits by the sharp edges on those chrome fittings. Those little rubber bits went all over the place and plugged up some oil passages, then the engine scored both pistons. Most of the bits were in the top end in the rocker arms and had completely plugged the front rocker arm oil supply fitting. After that happened I made a special cutter for my lathe to put the little curved chamfer in each of the new fittings and I have never had another rubber sleeve come apart or leak. Here's a picture of original equipment fittings and some of the cutter and the new fittings when they are done. Now the rubber will squeeze in around the pipe without getting cut.

                          oil line fittings 1.jpg

                          oil line fittings 2.jpg

                          oil line fittings 3.jpg

                          oil line fittings 4.jpg
                          Thanks for chiming in Jerry and refreshing the grey matter. I have braided lines on my FLT but want to go back to the original lines so I need to do this fix. Trying to get the FLT back to original and get it judged at a AMCA meet. Still have a few things to do.

                          Comment


                          • #29
                            It takes just a few minutes to fix them. I'll help if you need me to.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X