transmission seems harder to shift with Redline Shockproof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission seems harder to shift with Redline Shockproof

Anybody else have these issues. running 80-90 or 80-140 shifting seem easier. It has been cooler here so that may be a factor.

I found just the opposite

Comment

A lot of shifting trouble can be clutch adjustment more than the trans may have a little to much free play ..Hope that is it I am sure other will chime in ..
      30 miles west of Chicago ILL.

Comment

Originally posted by DITCHDIGGER View Post
        A lot of shifting trouble can be clutch adjustment more than the trans may have a little to much free play ..Hope that is it I am sure other will chime in ..
        ^^^ This.
        Not what you expect from this forum
        Forum fucktard
        Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

Originally posted by DITCHDIGGER View Post
          I agree. Draggy clutch.
          Do you have trouble finding neutral, waltr?
          "LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
          "VAGINA"

Comment

on the '78 FLH after running in 4th for about 25 miles
            shifting (down & up) feels like the shift lever has been tightened down, extra effort need to change gears
            I have been attributing that to heat in the trans
            I use the same oil in the trans that goes in the engine, VR1 60w

in the '97 Dyna with shock proof, it clunks into every gear

no clutch problems with either bike
            Last edited by jsoko; 06-18-2021, 07:29 AM.
            1954 FL ~ 1978 FLH ~ 1997 FXD

Huntin', Fishin', And Lovin' Every Day

If You're Too Busy To Take A Kid Fishin' or Huntin'
            , You're Just Too Busy!

Comment

I can't seem to find neutral if it does not go in before stopping. My old worn out fibers and old steels not nearly as bad. I thought originally it was because I installed new steel with anti rattle clips along with Alto red fibers. Just recently put the Ram Jet retainer, it did not seem to make that much difference. I probably have too much free play. It probably does not help but I installed these big fat cushioned grips when I installed Barnett clutch, throttle and idle cable.

Comment

Originally posted by waltr View Post
                I can't seem to find neutral if it does not go in before stopping. My old worn out fibers and old steels not nearly as bad. I thought originally it was because I installed new steel with anti rattle clips along with Alto red fibers. Just recently put the Ram Jet retainer, it did not seem to make that much difference. I probably have too much free play. It probably does not help but I installed these big fat cushioned grips when I installed Barnett clutch, throttle and idle cable.
                I have similar issues after installing a new Kevlar “extra plate “ kit in my 1984.

I usually try and find neutral while coasting, and firmly commit my foot to each shift.

I’ll have to try and pull it down again, clean everything, and this time will try NOT soaking the alleged “wet/dry” discs.

It seems to be getting better with use, but it ain’t right.
                "LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
                "VAGINA"

Comment

Try and keep releasing spring pressure until your starts to slip, then tighten up one notch and verify equalized plate release movement.
                  Then give it a bare minimum of free play and see if it gets better.

"LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
                  "VAGINA"

Comment

Where are you measuring free play? At the clutch lever ?

Comment

Y
                      Where are you measuring free play? At the clutch lever ?
                      yes. Cable to perch about 1/8” or less if pulled on with clutch released...as long as there is some...
                      "LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
                      "VAGINA"

Comment

The clutch releases evenly, I got lucky. The clutch has never slipped but did shift better when when it rattled. I will try backing off the tension one click at a time. Thanks 66Glide!

Comment

The clutch releases evenly, I got lucky. The clutch has never slipped but did shift better when when it rattled. I will try backing off the tension one click at a time. Thanks 66Glide!
                          If it works well for you, maybe I'll get the motivation to do mine!!
                          "LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
                          "VAGINA"

Comment

Originally posted by 66glide View Post

If it works well for you, maybe I'll get the motivation to do mine!!
                            Motivational speech time? I'm ready!
                            Not what you expect from this forum
                            Forum fucktard
                            Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

The first symptom you describe is a classic description of a misadjusted clutch. Stan.
                              Sooner or later love is gonna getcha. The Grass Roots.

Comment

Working...
                              X