Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding when letting the clutch out in neutral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding when letting the clutch out in neutral?

Probably should have stayed home (not) but in addition to my poor girl's bladder problem that I posted in another section, when I got home I popped her into neutral and every time I started letting the clutch out the trans was grinding. Got to the point where I just shut her off and then let the clutch out. Any ideas guys?
    Originally posted by jensen
    I know guy like you. If i can be face to face so you have nothing to say becasue you have not enough man for that and you are shittrousers.. When here in Finladn we despice somebody we says to him that put skirt on you pitch and send him skirt...

Could be you are halfway between second and third or third and fourth.

Jim
    High Point, NC

Comment

Maybe inner primary bearing? If your stopped in gear the bearing isn't turning until you let out the clutch. Just a shot in the dark. Just reread your post disregard.
      Last edited by Gary S; 01-05-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB in NC View Post
        Could be you are halfway between second and third or third and fourth.

Jim
        Just what I was thinking
        Fred

Who is John Galt?

Northern Illinois

Comment

Are you guys saying I might have found a false neutral, instead of between 1 and 2? I will have to check it out, can only hope it is something that simple.
          Last edited by hogluvr; 01-10-2019, 09:35 AM. Reason: fucking iPhone!
          I know guy like you. If i can be face to face so you have nothing to say becasue you have not enough man for that and you are shittrousers.. When here in Finladn we despice somebody we says to him that put skirt on you pitch and send him skirt...

Comment

Eyeball the linkage real good for slop
            jammed gears don
            Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
            "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
            Let me out of my way
            1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

Originally posted by hogluvr View Post
              Are you guys saying I might have found a false neutral, instead of between 1 and 2? I will have to check it out, can only hope it is something that simple.
              When I first got my '81 FLT, when I was riding I would hit neutral when shifting through the gears. If I remember right it could happen on any shift, up or down. In my case I just wasn't putting enough force into the shifter when I hit it. Not suggesting you're doing something wrong, just saying I was hitting a false neutral quite regularly on a tranny that has since proven to be in perfect working order.
              1977 FXE (Muttley)
              1981 FLT (Rus'T')
              1998 Honda Helix
              2004 Road King Classic

Comment

Having had a couple bikes with really sloppy shift linkages, which made the shifting crunchy and clunky and easily found all the false neutrals between every gear, I've found that new, tight, slop free linkages can do wonders for your shifting. One bike had a shifter arm that moved maybe 30 degrees with a bunch of stiction, so the box was never getting a "positive shift" and when I installed new quality forward controls with slop-free action, and it transformed that gearbox into as good as any gearbox I've ever used, on any bike.

On my 79, my shift lever on the trans was moving due to a loose nut and use, which caused the square hole to wallow out, so I basically had the same action on the previous bike I referred to. After addressing that shift arm, even with the stock "Rube Goldberg" linkage setup the Moco used on 79's and up, my shifting is absolutely sweet!

Nice, tight linkages and no slop makes a huge difference on our gearbox shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyShovel View Post

When I first got my '81 FLT, when I was riding I would hit neutral when shifting through the gears. If I remember right it could happen on any shift, up or down. In my case I just wasn't putting enough force into the shifter when I hit it. Not suggesting you're doing something wrong, just saying I was hitting a false neutral quite regularly on a tranny that has since proven to be in perfect working order.
                  No worries, had a similar incident with my new '94 LowRider. Dropped it off for service for the first time (stealership told me it would void my warranty if I didn't do the regular services for the first year, which I later learned was bullshit). Got the bike back, it kept hitting neutral between 2-3 and 4-5, took it back like WTF? They kept if for a few days, gave it back, said they adjusted the trans, same thing. I took it back, told them to keep it until it was fixed, it was in the shop over a month (this was the middle of summer)! Finally told them to give me the bike back I'm taking it somewhere else. Went to another stealership, the tech took it out for a ride, came back and grabbed an allen wrench. Showed me where they had taken the shift lever off, and when they put it back on they butted it up tight against the outer primary and tightened it. He said there needed to be a slight amount of slop in order for it to work right. Never had a problem with it again. Dumb fucks...

Comment

Originally posted by mike the snake View Post
                    Having had a couple bikes with really sloppy shift linkages, which made the shifting crunchy and clunky and easily found all the false neutrals between every gear, I've found that new, tight, slop free linkages can do wonders for your shifting. One bike had a shifter arm that moved maybe 30 degrees with a bunch of stiction, so the box was never getting a "positive shift" and when I installed new quality forward controls with slop-free action, and it transformed that gearbox into as good as any gearbox I've ever used, on any bike.

On my 79, my shift lever on the trans was moving due to a loose nut and use, which caused the square hole to wallow out, so I basically had the same action on the previous bike I referred to. After addressing that shift arm, even with the stock "Rube Goldberg" linkage setup the Moco used on 79's and up, my shifting is absolutely sweet!

Nice, tight linkages and no slop makes a huge difference on our gearbox shifting.
                    Answered my Question as I was goin to post issues with the cow pie as you men call it,
                    Hell of a racket shift into 1st as in down shift when come to the stop sign up the street,

Like the cogs are trying to mesh together or somthin it sounds like,

Didn't make that fuckin noise before,

Don't like it,

Thinking bushings here in my head,

Pull it down this winter,

I get it figured,
                    Last edited by Squidbilly; 09-29-2019, 01:47 AM.

No matter how much you tan you'll never be as dark as your nipples,

Comment

I would make VERY sure your clutch is working properly. Can you find neutral at a stop from 1st gear easily? A sticky clutch can act like a bunch of different things.

Comment

Working...
                      X