Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mainshaft seal seeping around OD of seal. And....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mainshaft seal seeping around OD of seal. And....?

I pulled the primary to find where the transmission was leaking oil. I have it off, overfilled with oil, and let sit overnite. So far the only oil I see is seeping from the OD of the large seal. It appears in this bike's life someone beat up the edge of the trans with either a small chisel or screwdriver trying to get/dig the large seal out. The small seal may also be seeping some, but very little at the time.

2 questions:
    1. What can I put around the OD of the large seal to stop the seeping? I
    Last edited by Budman; 01-12-2019, 02:39 PM.

I seem to be losing half my post? Or, I still don't know enough about this fucking new format!!! Thx.
    2 questions:
    1. What can I put around the OD of the large seal to stop the seeping? I

Comment

Wow, that's ugly!!
      Drain the oil to below the shaft level and clean the area with your preferred solvent. You might want to give it a day or so before doing anything so it quits/reduces wicking oil out.
      Coat the OUTSIDE of the new seal with Yamabond 4 and install the seal and smear any that oozed out round the circumference of the seal and allow it to dry for a few days before topping off with oil.
      Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
      "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
      Let me out of my way
      1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

Still not sure why I'm losing the rest of my post!!!
        Also, question 2 it appeared to be leaking a lot more than what is seeping there and over night. Is it possible the trans was not properly aligned, shaft in bind, and leaking heavily also from small seal? I plan on changing both anyway, aligning per folks instructions on here, and hoping for the best. Just hate to put all back together and find still leaking.

Comment

Yes. Replace both seals, and I'd pull the seal spacer/collar that the main seal rides on. Either install one of Ray's O-ring spacers, or use a bit of silicone on the spacer ID to prevent oil leaking past the splines and spacer. How much wobble on the MDG with the sprocket installed? There is no leak cure if the MDG bushing is worn out.
          DOUCHE CANOE
          VAGINA

Comment

also install TWO small seals inside the mainshaft and grease the outer one so it will be lubed. this will give you twice the sealing.
            I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by madrat View Post
              also install TWO small seals inside the mainshaft and grease the outer one so it will be lubed. this will give you twice the sealing.
              I never understood that one... I don't think I run enough...cause I doubt oil can get out there!!!
              In Fact... I may be mistaken,.., but, I think I have a belt drive primary, that don't got no seal there at all!!!

Comment

How can you fit two small seals inside the MDG without machining the MDG deeper?
                DOUCHE CANOE
                VAGINA

Comment

Originally posted by Racepres View Post

I never understood that one... I don't think I run enough...cause I doubt oil can get out there!!!
                  In Fact... I may be mistaken,.., but, I think I have a belt drive primary, that don't got no seal there at all!!!
                  i learned that trick from saddlebagrail......
                  I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by 66glide View Post
                    How can you fit two small seals inside the MDG without machining the MDG deeper?
                    You can't

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post

You can't
                      Exactly!!
                      DOUCHE CANOE
                      VAGINA

Comment

You can only fit 2 small seals in the end of the main drive gear if you machine the shoulder deeper at .430 inch deep,measurement taken from outside of thread,Ray
                        If a work deserves to be made it deserves to be well made and even if that work is well made there is always a way to improve it

Comment

if ya take a sheet metal screw and run it in a cpl threads ya can pull out that seal with a claw hammer pretty easy
                          Kevin
                          sigpic

"To The Great Northern Retreat, Ye son's of Freedom"
                          CHROMOSEXUAL AND PROUD!!

Comment

some aftermarket gears do allow 2 seals if it was supposed to be I have no idea. but the early 90's Revtech gear did
                            Kevin
                            sigpic

"To The Great Northern Retreat, Ye son's of Freedom"
                            CHROMOSEXUAL AND PROUD!!

Comment

Originally posted by saddlebagrail View Post
                              You can only fit 2 small seals in the end of the main drive gear if you machine the shoulder deeper at .430 inch deep,measurement taken from outside of thread,Ray
                              Ray, ur mailbox is full and can't get to u. Can u send me an email at shovel1979.1977@gmail.com? Need to discuss the oring spacer w you. Thx, Dennis.

Comment

Working...
                              X