Speedo drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo drive

Well I gues now is the time to add the drive gear to my 73 FX ratchet top. Had the super mainshaft leak. Any words of wisdom?
    Cave Junction: Where the Grateful Dead Meet Deliverance!

Make sure it's straight. 😉
    I put the gear in the oven and it slid right on. Oh, and check your cluster gear end play while you have it apart.
    My Build: Bottom Feeder

Comment

Make sure you have the right gear.
      Some do not fit with a light press as they should, be sure it does.
      With anything other than a 22 tooth sprocket and 51 on the rear it will read wrong.
      Friends help friends move,
      Real friends help friends move bodies...

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I got this on flea bay for 20 bucks shipped. Looks like the real deal. South Korea?

Comment

It's looking like a lot more than a mainshaft seal and speedo gear. Countershaft endplay is about .060+ over spec, haven't mic'd it but 1st gear and bushing wiggle a bit. Was looking at a Jim's rebuild kit, everything but the 4th gear bearing. Spendy but looks complete. Anyone done it this way or found a better kit? The inside and gears look new. I pressure washed a long time to get the mung off outside. When I peeked at the forks while taking the top off, 3rd/4th looked nicely centered but the 1st/2nd fork was almost touching 1st. Gets ta use my new shift fork gauge.

Comment

Great thread.
            Thanks for posting, and the pics.

BC.
            " In The Quiet and Confidence shall be My Strength "
            "While others might go like shit off a shovel, I'm a shit that stays on a Shovel" - quote, Me.

Comment

Jims seems to have quality problems with their lifters and such. I'd go Andrews all the way for what needs replaced, with a good Timken bearing.
              Not what you expect from this forum
              Forum fucktard
              Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

How critical is the placement of the speedometer gear on the countershaft ? does endplay make a difference ? do you just center it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Head View Post
                  Jims seems to have quality problems with their lifters and such. I'd go Andrews all the way for what needs replaced, with a good Timken bearing.
                  Just been reading up, according to the Andrews website, Jims makes the parts for their rebuild kit. Can't really find it anywhere except fleabay and no one lists all the pieces. It's almost half
                  the price of the Jims kit compared to J&P. Andrew's p/n 210925

Comment

https://www.andrewsproducts.com/site.../page_27_0.pdf
                    https://mid-usa.com/74023-transmissi...g-twin-4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by litldog View Post
                      How critical is the placement of the speedometer gear on the countershaft ? does endplay make a difference ? do you just center it ?
                      It is just centered. If possible, run the countershaft in a lathe and check the speedo with an indicator. It is fairly skinny and if it is not running true, lightly tap it with a small punch until it is true. If it is t running true, your speedo needle will tend to jump.

Comment

I'm hoping when I heat it up it will tap right into place and the sun will shine. Gear is about same width as mounting surfice. I hear 350 deg wrapped in foil for 15 minutes and setting it with green loktite and it's good to go, we'll see. I don't think a little counter shaft gear endplay would do much, the gear not turning true will be an issue for sure...Film at 11

Comment

Originally posted by opie View Post
                          I'm hoping when I heat it up it will tap right into place and the sun will shine. Gear is about same width as mounting surfice. I hear 350 deg wrapped in foil for 15 minutes and setting it with green loktite and it's good to go, we'll see. I don't think a little counter shaft gear endplay would do much, the gear not turning true will be an issue for sure...Film at 11
                          You don’t need locktite on that gear. There isn’t any twisting force turning the speedo drive, but removing it years down the road will not be easy using green which is a bearing lock requiring heat to remove.

Comment

Good point

Comment

OK, I'm late to this query, but! Make sure you have all the components matched to each other. There are two or three sets of gears and you need to get the proper set for the speedo head. You don't want to have to open the tranny any more that necessary. Nor do you want the speedo to read high or low.
                              When you have it all back together, ask your friendly neighborhood cop where the currant speed trap is then ask that cop if he will check your actual speed. Smaller cities will let you do this, don't know about the larger ones.
                              Last edited by Krutch; 02-09-2020, 12:30 PM. Reason: After thought.
                              Krutch

Comment

Working...
                              X