no first or second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no first or second

Just rode home 25 miles with no 1st or 2nd gear.Sputhe 5 in a 4. Shifter feels funny could be detent spring.

Shifter pawl adjustment come loose?
    My Website: www.amcpchoppers.com

sigpic:

Comment

Could be.Im gonna check it out in the mornin.Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

ive had the hats get stuck in the groove on the drum causing all kinds of grief a few minuted with some files fixed it also on my aftermarket 4 sp, the pawl springs looked way too dry, i may of put a little bit too much grease in them which caused loss of gears

Comment

5spd, no hats.
          time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
            Just rode home 25 miles with no 1st or 2nd gear.Sputhe 5 in a 4. Shifter feels funny could be detent spring.
            Did it just suddenly lose 1&2 or was it gradual? Having lost them, what does it act like as far as neutral? The rest of the gears? ie; does it go to third and just stop or goes down to the position of the other gears but they just don’t engage? I think Chop may be onto something with the pawl adjustment, if the nut came loose, the screw could turn as the trans was being shifted until it moved far enough to not get full travel. That’s a good start point. Especially if it was a gradual loss.
            time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas

Comment

Yes Choppers had it right.The pin on the pawl came out of the notch because the shift lever was rubbing on the inner primary and pushed every thing in.Im gonna do some grinding on the primary and the shift lever.I noticed that it was shiftin hard thought it was the clutch.Then I gotta put the tranny back in.

Comment

sounds good - let us know

Comment

Still having a hard time shifting this trans.It is a sputhe 5 speed with 80-84 internals. All parts inside look great just the shift forks have a some play where they slide on the shift fork shaft.When they tilt a little they bind on the shaft.Also a little wear on the sides on two forks.I am far from a tranny expert .Think its a good idea to get new shift forks?

Comment

Get new forks and a shaft. They are not expensive and easy to change.

sigpic:

Comment

Yes I have them out now.What is a good brand of shift forks?

Comment

Andrews

sigpic:

Comment

Far as I can tell Andrews only sells 4 speed shift forks.Baker has them but they value them very dearly.

Comment

Hah, shows ya how long it has been since I have looked for 5-speed forks...LOL
                            Chinese ones are a hundred bucks and the Baker are sixty seven bucks more...I would get the Baker!
                            Is it an '87-'06 type or early?

sigpic:

Comment

Im gonna get with Baker Monday and make sure they fit.The trannny has 80-84 internals.I think the forks are same up till 96 .

Comment

Working...
                              X