Opie's Softail 5 speed for his Shovel project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opie's Softail 5 speed for his Shovel project

I'm thinking someone posted one of these not too long ago but I can't find it. I want a 5 speed and Chopprs has indicated this is way cheaper than a revtech. So I have a lead on a 99 softail 5 speed, which inner primary do I need? I came up with 60630-94? This is where you guys in the know help make me a shopping list. A 5 speed with 1:1 5th would be the tits! I'll be the guinea pig.
    Cave Junction: Where the Grateful Dead Meet Deliverance!

Pib did his and Tim Welch
    which way is up

Comment

I found a guy parting out a 1997 softail springer. Was able to get transmission with primary cases, primary chain, comp sprocket, clutch and starter. Plus all the smalls such as starter shaft, clutch pushrod, etc and know they are compatible because they were run together.
      Benny.
      "The future belongs to those who are still willing to get their hands dirty."

Comment

i've done several of these "conversions" to a 5-speed; whatever problems you run into will be quickly forgotten when you start riding. this is a prime upgrade that i now do to every bike that i can. it'll take some cutting and grinding to fit it around the swingarm and you'll probably loose both rear mounting bolts. i did a thread on this with my "sleeper glide"....time to start the ol' '96er.......i think that's the title.....the main problem that vanishes is the constant battle with mainshaft oil leakage. Ray's spacer helps for a while but other leaks take over where this one quits. the 5-speeds that i have done have zero leaks. you can also run a smaller rear sprocket or pulley for lower rpm on the highway.......
        I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by madrat View Post
          i've done several of these "conversions" to a 5-speed; whatever problems you run into will be quickly forgotten when you start riding. this is a prime upgrade that i now do to every bike that i can. it'll take some cutting and grinding to fit it around the swingarm and you'll probably loose both rear mounting bolts. i did a thread on this with my "sleeper glide"....time to start the ol' '96er.......i think that's the title.....the main problem that vanishes is the constant battle with mainshaft oil leakage. Ray's spacer helps for a while but other leaks take over where this one quits. the 5-speeds that i have done have zero leaks. you can also run a smaller rear sprocket or pulley for lower rpm on the highway.......
          Yup! And everything else that comes with this swap is very beneficial.... splined shaft, much better starter setup etc.

I went thru my 84' 4 speed last year due to a pesky mainshaft leak. Did the Ray spacer and zero leaks thus far but it still has that crappy ass rotary top linkage setup (i am sticking with mid controls so Ray's linkage won't apply). If I ever get to the point where I need to dig into this transmission again I wont... I will be going with an OEM Softail 5 speed.

Has anyone been able to make/modify factory mid controls to work with the Softail 5 speed?

Comment

Originally posted by madrat View Post
            the 5-speeds that i have done have zero leaks. .
            Not to be a downer, but the clutch cable often leaks on 5 speeds.

"LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
            "VAGINA"

Comment

Originally posted by 66glide View Post

Not to be a downer, but the clutch cable often leaks on 5 speeds.

Just snug the cable nut at the transmission. If it still leaks change the o-ring.
              My Website: www.amcpchoppers.com

sigpic:

Comment

You very funny round eye! Lol

Comment

I’m bummed, Latus HD owned and operated a salvage operation for years in Portland. A great place to get take off and salvage parts. They closed permanently, was really shocked to see that. Now the shopping gets tougher.

Comment

used to love that place, just rode up to my sons place in vancouver to drop some stuff off to him, shoulda wore a bunch more warm stuff, still shivering hahahaha
                    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Comment

Originally posted by garyshovel84 View Post

Yup! And everything else that comes with this swap is very beneficial.... splined shaft, much better starter setup etc.

I went thru my 84' 4 speed last year due to a pesky mainshaft leak. Did the Ray spacer and zero leaks thus far but it still has that crappy ass rotary top linkage setup (i am sticking with mid controls so Ray's linkage won't apply). If I ever get to the point where I need to dig into this transmission again I wont... I will be going with an OEM Softail 5 speed.

Has anyone been able to make/modify factory mid controls to work with the Softail 5 speed?
                      and in most cases, cheaper parts......
                      I love my freedom so i thank GOD and veterans, not politicians!! sweet home Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by chopprs View Post

Just snug the cable nut at the transmission. If it still leaks change the o-ring.
                        Have you tried these yet?
                        [email protected]_636876777063229382.png

https://www.mcmaster.com/93783A030/

I bought some for mine, but, I'm still putting it back together so I dunno if it leaks yet, lol. I figured with the metal around, it wouldn't be as apt to squish out?
                        sigpic

What is life, except
                        Excuse for death, or death but
                        An escape from life?

Comment

Originally posted by chopprs View Post

Too much maintenance for me.
                          I'm gonna just stick with 4 speeds.
                          Wait.
                          What?
                          "LAME DOUCHE CANOE"
                          "VAGINA"

Comment

Originally posted by DemonWolf View Post

Have you tried these yet?
                            [email protected]_636876777063229382.png

https://www.mcmaster.com/93783A030/

I bought some for mine, but, I'm still putting it back together so I dunno if it leaks yet, lol. I figured with the metal around, it wouldn't be as apt to squish out?
                            Interesting but I never had much issue with them leaking. The cover has a counterbore for the o-ring so it can get snugged up. I am not sure if that would fit...
                            My Website: www.amcpchoppers.com

sigpic:

Comment

Ah. It does fit. On an ultima at least. I heard about the o-ring issue, and the first time I tightened it I squeezed the o-ring out so I threw one of these on. It's still in the garage, so I have no idea how well it will hold up.
                              sigpic

What is life, except
                              Excuse for death, or death but
                              An escape from life?

Comment

Working...
                              X