Evo 5sp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evo 5sp question

Main drive gear seal. My manual says to use a tool that I don't own to install the seal to a "proper depth".
    What is the measurement that they want this seal to be set in to? I can make a installation tool, but wondering what depth are they looking for?

If you're talking about the seal in the transmission, mine was flush when I removed it, so I installed the new one flush.
    I ruined the first one thinking I could just tap it in. Made a tool to push the new one in.
    Pib

Home base: Southern Illinois
    1976 FX "Ralph"
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pib View Post
      If you're talking about the seal in the transmission, mine was flush when I removed it, so I installed the new one flush.
      I ruined the first one thinking I could just tap it in. Made a tool to push the new one in.
      I'm talking about the smaller one that is pressed into the end of the gear itself, that the mainshaft runs through.

Comment

There is a .030 - .040 chamfer at the mouth of that bore. Press the seal in until the outer face of the seal is even with the bottom edge of that chamfer and you will be good. It ain't rocket science. They just don't want you to cram the seal in so the lip of the seal is impinging on the edge of the bearing.

Jim
        High Point, NC

Comment

Thanks JB, that was the info I was looking for.

Comment

Not sure about a 5 speed but the tapered top part of a 35mm fx/sportster fork tube works good to install a 4 speed seal.
            I cut the tube to around 10" long iirc.
            Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
            "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
            Let me out of my way
            1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

Originally posted by racerjim0 View Post
              Not sure about a 5 speed but the tapered top part of a 35mm fx/sportster fork tube works good to install a 4 speed seal.
              I cut the tube to around 10" long iirc.
              I'll check that out, I have a crusty tube somewhere , thanks

Comment

Working...
              X