comparing clutch cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comparing clutch cables

I have used Barnett clutch cables for decades, but now circumstances are forcing me to consider a different maker. I have installed a Motion Pro cable. It fit just fine, but I am still concerned about the longevity. Any opinions about this 'new to me' brand is appreciated.

Hopsing
    sigpic
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ...
    The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - Thomas Jefferson

Don't know a thing about their quality. Keep them lubed and adjusted; best I can offer.
    Not what you expect from this forum
    Forum fucktard
    Winner of the Asshole thread...

Comment

I installed a new motion pro before a road trip a few months back, even though the one I had , also motion pro was still ok. Kept it for a spare in the saddlebag. I like them because they're so skinny. And my old one was a couple years old. And yes, I keep them well lubed.
      I hang my hat in Tennessee.

Comment

Last one I got was from Erie Pennsylvania Harley Davidson over 10 yr's ago for the shovel,
        Don't know what brand,

As forum asshole said,
        Keep it lubed.

You'll be ok.
        Last edited by Squidbilly; 09-06-2023, 11:42 PM.

No matter how much you tan you'll never be as dark as your nipples,

Comment

You know how it is. Totally used to the quality of a particular brand and then (a) situation forces you to use something else. I just had a little bit of an uneasy feeling about this new to me brand. But sounds like I have nothing to worry about. I do keep my cables lubed, my clutch cable lasted for well over ten years, hell I don't even remember exactly its been so long now. And yeah Vern, they are skinny aren't they. Thanks guys.

Hopsing
          sigpic
          "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ...
          The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

did barnett change something?
            Kevin
            sigpic

"To The Great Northern Retreat, Ye son's of Freedom"
            CHROMOSEXUAL AND PROUD!!

Comment

my cable has a plastic sheath for the cable to slide in the wire does not touch the metal
              also got a spare and the wire was a gauge or 2 thinner than my HD cable
              I always check at the lever thats where they start to fray
              1954 FL ~ 1978 FLH

Huntin', Fishin', And Lovin' Every Day

If You're Too Busy To Take A Kid Fishin' or Huntin'
              , You're Just Too Busy!

Comment

The plastic/nylon liner can be a issue due to heat if you run the cable too close to the cylinders like the oem cable routing location does on the left side near the timing plug.
                I nixed that routing clamp thingy at the center case stud years ago. I think I also needed the extra few stud threads for a carb support bracket on the right side of the case stud.
                Not sure when they started using that liner but would guess that it wasn't used on oem clutch cables in 1984.
                Early FLT's run the clutch cable on the right hand side, behind the lifter blocks but they use a coiled spring like protector around the cable to help keep the cable from direct contact with the cylinder bases.
                Don't build no shit and there won't be no shit
                "It's not me, it's the assholes I run with"
                Let me out of my way
                1984 FLH King OF THE HIGHWAY

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡